Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the 350 and dropped in a 400 this winter in my '69. The 350 had straight bolts on the starter and the 400 has offset bolts.

I got a good starter from my dad's '88 fuel-injected 350 suburban with offset bolts, but it doesn't have enough places to hook wires to it.

My old one has the big one in the middle that goes to the battery and 2 little ones that go through the harness and over to the fuse block.

The newer one has the big one and only one place to hook a wire.

Can I make it work, or do I have to switch solenoids? How hard is it to swap solenoids? I've never tried it.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
If you are still running a stock points ignition then you will need a new solenoid. If you are running an HEI ignition you dont need the outer small lug. Maybe you want to upgrade your ignition? The outer lug is a bypass wire to give a full 12v to the coil at startup but not when the engine is running.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Not all key switches provide power to the ign. from the start position. You have to verify power to the coil with the key in the start position. If it doesn't have power, you'll have to go to a remote solenoid. Also, unless you know that the original wire to the coil has been changed. Check the voltage at the coil with the car off. It should be very close to battery voltage. If the wire has white cloth insulation, it's the original resistance wire. It takes the place of a balast resistor. You'll need a new wire if this is the case. Not to mention the other wire.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Older style solenoids with the 2 small terminals are still available. Believe that it will fit into that starter. Three screws, give it a twist, and it's off the starter. Maybe buy a new spring with the solenoid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts