Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a good running motor in my 95 tahoe, all stock except a set of shorty headers and a gibson exhaust. Its got a lot of mileage however on it (175K). I plan on rebuilding it, but before ripping it apart i was wondering if the heads and block would handle anything better then a stock rebuild, or if i should upgrade heads or whatever have you. I want it to still run of the stock computer, with very minimal adjustments. I dont plan on putting a large amount of money into it, but wouldnt mind a little more power out of the 5.7. Its TBI motor by the way.

If anyone has any idea of how i can get some head specs i would appreciate it greatly.

My thoughts for now are somwhere around .30 over, maybe a bit of a cam and about the same compression. I dont want to get into doing too much more then just cleaning up the heads. Im not looking to port or gasket match anything. Budget power, that will still work well with the computer system.

Ill take any ideas or suggestions. Just trying to figure out my best route. Thanks in advance. Josh

·
Registered
18,902 Posts
do a nice stock rebuild on the short block- if the block is set up for it, upgrade to a mild hydraulic roller cam- and get a set of vortec heads and matching vortec TBI intake for it. if you stay mild with the cam, you can use the stock computer without any recalibrations.

·
Registered
18,902 Posts
i know of people that put vortec heads and the matching intakes on them, and they run great with no other changes.
i know it's not much more radical than the stock engine, but i helped put the original motor out of my 92 Caprice cop car in a 95 Suburban, and it runs perfect. we used the Sub intake and throttle body and just plugged everything in. it has much more power than the stocker did and gets better mileage. the roller cam in the cop cars in 92 was a bit more aggressive than the average Caprice got, and definitely bigger than the flat tappet cam that was in the Sub stock.

·
Premium Member
14,223 Posts
It's hard to switch heads/cam without replacing the computer on one of those vehicles. Mail-order tunes are easy and not too shabby at around $150. Google "wait4me performance". Also check out www.fullsizechevy.com

-JP
IF you stay reasonable with the cam and use the Vortec stuff, there is no need to mess with the computer. It has no idea the stuff has been changed as long as the vacuum signal at the MAP sensor is steady.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I had a .398/.442 cam in my '92 fullsize. (edelbrock, TBI cam) with the edelbrock performer TBI aluminum heads, and it needed a computer swap. Ran like crap on the stock settings. Maybe that was just too much cam. Not sure. Wouldn't seem like it though. That is, though, the only TBI i've ever played with. I later switched it to a carb because I didnt like having to send the computer out and wait.

Also check out the TBI mods you can do. They have it on sticky over at that fullsize chevy forum I believe.

-JP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts