Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting a 79 column in my kids 74 1/2 ton pickup (2wd auto trans) the clown before cut the harness and spiced the turn signal wires into the last replacement column instead of using the factory connector. All of the wires match in color except for two. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for these (74 & 79)or links to one. Or can anyone tell me if using the "connect and try it" method :rolleyes: will burn up anything! Thanks in advance Patrick

·
Administrator
16,203 Posts
Trips to the wrecking yard are always fun, but in 28 degree weather it must be a real adventure. Find any good stuff for your 64?

·
Gold Founding Member
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All the old stuff had been hauled away. There was an old drainage ditch that was being piped (probably EPA got a little concerned about runoff into the old ditch)so all the old stuff on the other side was hauled off. Not much left anyway, I had been picking at that yard since 1978. Did find a 63 catalina 4dr that is complete and looks like it needs tlc. I snagged a wiring connector (it is hardwired into the back of the fuse box so I just clipped what I needed). Soldered it in, snapped it in place and the kids just called and said everything works except for the horn. I let them take the column apart to pull the cylinder to get a key made.

I did find a gas tank for my 59 that looks like it will work. also lots of later model 4WD consoles with linkage, etc. Do you know if the early 80's shift mechanism will work on an earlier auto transfer case (mine is a 74 Chevy C10 NP204(?)?

I was thinking of you on your scooter while I was wearing wool gloves and breathing ice. I was not alone, there were 12-15 cars in the parking lot and lots of activity. Was fun, Jenn and I restored a 67 Mustang together for her in high school and we enjoy wrenching together. Drives her husband nuts because she knows and can do so much more mechanically than him!

Take it easy. Patrick

·
Administrator
16,203 Posts
The horn problem may be under the wheel, sounds like you hooked up all the harness wires.
Is yours a part time or full time transfer case? Mine was full time and I loved it. The transfer case shifters are interchangable from different years as long as the transfer case is the same style. The later years had a switch on them to light an indicator when in lo or hi lock. The biggest problem with the shifters is dirt. Remove the shifter from the truck, take off the bottom cover and clean it real good. Apply some lube on the pivot points and it should work well again. My 74 had a Hurst shifter in it from the factory and still work well after 250k miles when I sold the truck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts