Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s the story. My truck was having a hard time starting, turning over really slow. I though the battery was about to die. So I went and purchased a new battery, installed it and when I went to turn it over, nothing but click, click, click. Ok, so I thought it might be the starter, I take the starter in to get it checked out and they say the starter is fine. So, then I check the battery cables, they are clean! Nothing wrong with them! The truck only has 30k on it, and pretty much used only on weekend. Now, I went back and install the starter, then hooked the battery back up and then the starter starts going click, click and even engaged a few times, granted the key is in the off position. Now what is causing this? Any Ideas? Any Advice? Thanks

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Still sounds like starter, from the way it was slow turning to the way it's acting now. One left field idea is to give it another ground. Jumper the battery negative to the starter body. Doubt that will help but a quick test. After that I'd change the starter/solenoid.
They may not have load tested the starter. Anyway my opinion on this one.

·
Gold Founding Member
64,284 Posts
I agree with John, If all your bat cable connections are good it sounds like the starter to me too

Sometimes if the brushes in the starter get worn down short enough, one of them might loose connection to the commutator and hitting or jaring the starter will make it work temporarily
Could be that you jared it enough when you took it off that it made it test ok

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I got the truck going this afternoon. For some reason, I decided to charge the "new" battery, and when I put the charger on I noticed it was low. After it was charged, I reinstalled the starter, and it worked. I'm still not sure why a low battery would cause the solenoid to go click, click even when it ignition key was in the off position. Working on cars is very frustrating when they don't work, but very satisfying when you get them fix. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.