Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 72 has a charging problem that i don't understand. when i let the car idle i got 12.06 volts coming from my battery and the gen light is on. when i had my friend give it some gas the voltage dropped to 12.04 but the gen light went off. this is typical of the problem and alwalys happens. The only thing i have done so far is check to see that my alternator belt is tight on my new alternator and checked my grounds.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Without asking you to take some measurements to be sure, it sounds like the regulator. Delco replacements are on the expensive side and personally I don't like the aftermarket mechanical regulators. Suggest going down to AutoZone and picking up a Wells VR715 solid state regulator for around $11.00. Disconnect the battery before installing it. Probably need to move the charcoal canister out of the way to get at the regulator.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
replaced v. regulator today with a vr715. Battery is charging fine now. thanks for the advice.That's what i was going to do next but needed a second opinion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts