Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to run an errand yesterday about 4 miles away. Drove the 66, got there, shut down, came out, no start.

Tried my spare hot wire, no luck. Had my wife come get me. I got the truck and trailer, and loaded it, with my come along, in a restaurant parking lot. Great entertainment for the outside bar patrons. One guy loved the car, and helped winch, such a great guy!

Got it home. Lights, etc, work fine but no noise from the starter area. First read was battery at 12.6, hmm.

Rolled it down the driveway and it fired right up. Hmmm.

13.93 volts running. Start checking. Fanbelt is loose, but not squealing. Pos bat clamp on my 2ga wire to the starter comes apart when I put a wrench on it. Break out new crimper and put on a 2ga crimped terminal, solder for luck. After trip to CARQUEST to buy it.

No start. 100 amp booster, no start. Hmm.

Pull the ignition switch out of the dash, pull wires off. Power connector had 10.9 volts, switch tests good in all positions.

Check battery again, 10.9 volts.

Go to Autozone, get new battery, old one was purchased in 15 so I get $45 off.

New battery fixed it.

Love this stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Batteries are the bane of my existence. The riding lawn mower, wife's car, my Excursion, etc. If I don't drive it everyday it seems to go bad.

Reactions: BTK

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Batteries are the bane of my existence. The riding lawn mower, wife's car, my Excursion, etc. If I don't drive it everyday it seems to go bad.
My battery inventory...
66 Chevelle
15 BMW
08 BMW
89 Sanger 21 - qty. 2
90 Tiara 36 - qty. 8
Yes, batteries suck.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
If any of my cars, or any vehicle with a battery, sit for more than a week, I disconnect the negative battery cable and attach a float charger. 5 minutes time and a LOT cheaper than buying a new battery, which averages over a hundred bucks every time now.

For me, that's 9 vehicles including collector cars, pickup, Harley, 2 lawn tractors, and a boat.

Reactions: OLDED and BTK

·
Premium Member
6,759 Posts
I use Deltran battery tender jr's on 2 Harleys & my Malibu since the sit more, new golf cart has a built in charger and 6- 8 volts batteries, $800-$850 when they go bad :surprise: and now that we're talking about batteries I haven't had to replaced one in awhile? :frown2:

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
My inventory
66 Chevelle
56 210
71 C30
01 Tahoe
John Deere tractor
DR grader
Golf cart (6 batteries)
Latest dead battery was withe the grader last month. Charged the battery for a day before I wanted to use it, wouldn't work, put it on a trickle charger for a week. Wouldn't work. Took it to local parts store. (I didn't get the battery from them, got from DR). Had a sticker that said 2/18. They had the EXACT same battery in stock. I asked how long the warranty on the battery was. One year. The replacement battery says 1/19, so I said it's half way thru warranty period sitting on shelf. Clerk took the sticker off the new one, put it on the old one and said "Have a good day". I like free.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The battery in my car right now is a USED battery I installed in 2011 to use the car for a few days when I wrecked my truck. After that, it sat in my car untouched until February of this year on a 15 dollar Peak trickle charger when I got the car running again, and has been running the car like clockwork since then. The first battery in my Kubota tractor lasted almost ten years before crapping out, and the one in my Grasshopper zero turn lasted 9. Moral of the story. Trickle chargers WORK, and they don't even have to be fancy ones.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Seems I just buy a new battery every 5 years and avoid all the breakdowns and trickle chargers which I do not trust. When I'm finished for the day with the 66, I always remove the positive battery cable. I sleep better.

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevelle SS
163 Posts
I just added up my battery count and I'm at 26.

RV: 6
Truck: 2
Tahoe: 1
Jeep: 1
Chevelle: 1
Ski boat: 2
Fishing boat: 2
Waverunner: 1
Kubota tractor: 1
JD tractor: 1
JD garden tractor: 1
Can Am X3: 2
Horse trailer#1: 1
Horse trailer#2: 2
Flatbed trailer: 1
Car trailer: 1

Not including the golf cart or the grandkid's electric toys...

Have a few Battery Tender/CTEK trickle chargers also. I need to get a solar one for the Kubota and horse trailer; neither are parked near a 120V oultet. The JD tractor gets run everyday. The fishing boat has it's own charger. But no power outlet at the storage unit for the ski boat, fishing boat, and the Waverunner, which is the last battery I had to buy. I just bought another CTEK to take out to our river place where I'll bring the Jetski and fishing boat to and charge them as needed. The ski boat does well enough since I added the battery cutoff switch.

I even keep extra batteries on a shelf in my shop for when something dies and I need to have it up and running.

And yes, I have too many toys. But we don't sell stuff -- had the RV and ski boat for 16 years, the Jeep for 20, etc. My kids are going to be real happy when I croak and they inherit everything! :grin2:

But they already get to use most of it anyway...

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Speaking of trailers.....I forgot to add my two car trailers with winches, so that's 11 for me.....:)

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Get a Group 24 AGM battery. Far superior handling long storage with deep cell capabilities just in case it does go dead. Handles vibration much better. Will last 2x longer but they do cost more but not twice as much. Plus they don't leak.

·
Premium Member
13,560 Posts
only 3 batteries here and I replace them every 3 years. Yes, the heat does kill them as well!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have 4 cars and I do not drive that much. I used to spend a fortune on batteries. About 7 years ago, I setup 2 double deltran trickle chargers with extensions into each car bay. Every time I finish with a car, I add the trickle charger back on. I have not bought a battery since I set this up. It really has saved me a lot of money. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
OH MAN I FEEL FOR YOU !!!!

My inventory
Truck (2 batteries)
Tahoe
commuter car
Sanger V210 boat(2 Batteries)
Travel trailer(2more batteries)
1985 Toyota 4x4
1972 Chevelle
2003 Harley Davidson FXDXT

I feel like I can never make it through a complete year with out need a battery or 2 and I'm a religious battery tender user .

·
Registered
861 Posts
I just recently walked out to find my Monte Carlo with a dead battery with no real explanation as to why. Took it to work and hooked it up to our really fancy battery charger/analyzer/ thing and force it to charge. Let it sit overnight, came back to it the next morning and the machine basically said it was junk and to throw it away. i have never had a battery just go bad and discharge itself like that. Good news is, it happened at my house, and now the car starts amazingly fast. 3 vehicles, 2 quads, and a golf cart, and i easily do one battery a year.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
This just happened to me a few months ago.

Battery perfectly fine one day. Next day - *poof* dead. Charged it up, within a day it drew itself back down. I thought I had a parasitic leak or something. Nope, battery was just toast and needed to be replaced.

Granted, it was 8 years old, but yeah, just died pretty much instantly.

I just recently walked out to find my Monte Carlo with a dead battery with no real explanation as to why. Took it to work and hooked it up to our really fancy battery charger/analyzer/ thing and force it to charge. Let it sit overnight, came back to it the next morning and the machine basically said it was junk and to throw it away. i have never had a battery just go bad and discharge itself like that. Good news is, it happened at my house, and now the car starts amazingly fast. 3 vehicles, 2 quads, and a golf cart, and i easily do one battery a year.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
As bad as it is when one of my cars won't start, it's worse when it's my wife's Impala.
So... whenever one of the cars needs a battery, I get a new one for her car and move
her old one to whichever wagon needs it. I only remember her car being towed once,
when the heater hose elbows exploded. Limiting her car-induced drama: priceless.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts