------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
NOS is also the most abused term in the classic auto hobby.Seems most people don't know the difference between NOS and OEM.Most NOS labeled parts aren't. They are merely Original Equiptment Manufacture or OEM.A part that is reproduced by the original manufacture.I always see this same guy on ebay selling NOS SS exhaust tips.GM is still making them so they aren't New Old Stock!NOS would be a part that the General doesn't make anymore.

------------------

Dean Ciampi
Team Chevelle Gold #52
Aces #3094 MY LS6 CHEVELLE

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
Never thought much about the difference in the terms NOS and OEM. Hmmm... GM didn't (and don't) *produce* many of the parts that go on their cars (wiring harnesses come to mind). NOS would be that item in a GM box with a GM part number that went out of production FOR GM long ago. OEM would be the same part from the Original Equipment Manufacturer in the OEM's box.

There was a post elsewhere where a guy bought some stuff at an estate sale and was offered some front end parts (tie rods, idler arm, etc) just to get rid of 'em. Anyway, he had a GM part number and old GM box. Turns out the stuff was for a 58-62 full size Chevy. I'd consider that NOS since you can't get it at Chevrolet anymore and it was in a GM box. I wonder if they were OEM'd by Moog, TRW, or someone else for GM? Probably were...

I do agree with LS6 that those items still available from GM I would not call NOS since, to me anyway, it's still IN STOCK.

One advice I would give...watch buying odd-ball items like lighters, switches, door striker bolts, etc from the aftermarket suppliers. Many items are still available from GM. Example, Year One (and others) have them for $8.95 each plus who-knows-what for shipping and probably a 10-day delivery time.. A fifteen minute drive to my local Chevy dealer turned up two of them for about $2.00 each plus tax.

If you know the part number of something you're looking for, try http://www.partsvoice.com and see if anyone has it. I've got most of a GM parts counter manual that covers 64-71 Chevy's. It's cryptic to read sometimes but I can get the group and (original) part number for just about anything. Many times these part numbers are superceded and the new numbers are available from Chevrolet. The old General was good about using the same parts for many years.

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92
ACES #1709

Restore it or customize it, but drive it and enjoy it!

1974 454 Corvette for sale
www.dalesplace.com

G

·
There was a guy on Ebay selling "NOS" Muncie gasket kits, had a picture of the GM package and the part number. The gasket kit is the current offering available from any GM parts store for about $11, if you check with some of the GM internet parts places you can buy it for $8.50.

He was selling them for $20 plus the shipping, such a deal!

------------------
Wally
www.muncie4speed.com
Gold #67
2001 Chevy Silverado LT
67 Malibu "Small Block" second owner
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevelle Wagon
300 Posts
In my experience, about 30-40% of the real NOS parts out there have some kind of a problem. That's why they haven't been used yet. Although most of the time they can be repainted, straightened, or repaired in whatever manner, and still be better than a reproduction.
Dan

------------------
ACES Member#603
Team Chevelle Gold Member #285
67 Malibu Convertible
67 El Camino
67 Malibu Wagon (project)
67 C10 Pickup
70 Malibu Convertible
Peach State Chevelles
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/downs/2849

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have never had any problems with the term "NOS" until Ebay. To me NOS has a clear meaning - OEM Part that has never been installed. I would even go as far to say it should be in "new" condition but that can be argued.
I recently bought a trunk lock off Ebay for my car. The title said "NOS" and it said "NOS" in the description. A week later I got a used trunk lock in the mail.
The seller refused to admit he had screwed up. I believe it was an honest error ( he interchanged NOS for OEM I believe) but it still was his error.
He agreed to refund the amount for the item but not the $5.50 he charged me for shipping or the $1.70 it cost me to send it back.
I'm out $7.00 so this joker could learn what "NOS" means.
Now I have to quiz the seller of each NOS item I bid on to see if it is really NOS!
BUYER BEWARE is the rule to follow. Ask the obvious questions first instead of arguing later.

Dave
'70 Monte SS454

[This message has been edited by Desmo888 (edited 02-22-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.