Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, name is Tod.

Saw www.chevelles.com in new issue of Popular Hot Rodding.

I am restoring my 1966 GTO & thought I might get some ideas on here. An A body is an A body pretty much, & alot of the mods on these cars can be interchanged.

My plan is to do a mild Pro Touring style car, but retain the originality of my car. It is an original Tri Power 4 speed car from North Carolina. It has been in a garage for 21 years in pieces. I have tried to get this car for about 10 years & finally succeded two months ago. I plan on having it running by this summer. It may be a few years before it is completely finished, as funds allow. Family comes first. I'm a proud father of a 7 month-old son, hopefully he will be into cars, as well.

My other toy is a 1990 Chevy 454SS pickup with a Lingenfelter 461 & a T56 six speed. The truck has many modifications, yet it looks subtle (visit links below). I have owned it for 16 years, and probably will never sell it. I did Hot Rod's Power Tour 2002 with it, and plan on doing the 2007 Power Tour in it again. Long Haul this time, though.

That's my story...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Welcome Tod, really nice pickup you have, also vtx, I've got the twin to it on my website, vtx that is.

Rob
Rob,

I didn't see pics of your VTX on your site.

Are you a member of the VTXOA? I'm SSkillett on the www.vtxoa.com board.

EDIT: I found it in the "ongoing restoration" portion of your site.

BTW: Killer garage setup you got there.

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
No, I'm not a member.

But I read a few things on the vtx site, found the place to send my pipes to minnesota, they cleaned them out, it sounds like a big block idling.:beers:

Rob

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
My best friend back in the 60's bought a new 1967 gto, we used to take it out and take care of business, 400 ram air, 4 speed, 433 rear end, went through the 400 and two 421's in a year and a half.

But it would get with the program.

Which makes me wonder about these original matching number motors, back then, most of them didn't last six months.

Rob

·
Registered
389 Posts
Pro-touring is a good way to go on the goat. My 68 was done that way. One thing I would NOT do is tub out the rear end. It takes away from the originality of the car and value if you ever sell it. If you are rebuilding the engine take it to a pontiac builder, don't let your local machine shop or builder do it. There are several pontiac builders on the 'net that are very good.
Get ready to sink money into a black hole. And by the way if you don't know it, pontiacs cost more to rebuild than a chevy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Which makes me wonder about these original matching number motors, back then, most of them didn't last six months.

Rob
Mine is not an original tripower (code WS) motor. It is, however, an original 1966 GTO 4bbl 389 (code WT). I do have an original 1966 tripower setup on it and I have gotten my PHS docs showing it as an original 3x2/4spd car when built. The original Muncie is with the car (vin number on the trans).

Pontiacs do not have "numbers matching" motors. Only production line codes & date codes are on the motor, not the VIN number.

It is kinda funny, though. Technology has come a long way. You can pound the snot out of a modern LS1 for 100K or more miles with little more than oil changes, and it'll spank most classic big or small block cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Pro-touring is a good way to go on the goat. My 68 was done that way. One thing I would NOT do is tub out the rear end. It takes away from the originality of the car and value if you ever sell it. If you are rebuilding the engine take it to a pontiac builder, don't let your local machine shop or builder do it. There are several pontiac builders on the 'net that are very good.
Get ready to sink money into a black hole. And by the way if you don't know it, pontiacs cost more to rebuild than a chevy.
I absolutely in no way will ever tub this car. This car is in too nice of shape to destroy it. The car still has the original 1/4's & rockers, with all original spot welds still visible. Also the original front sheet metal is still with the car. The driver's door was replaced in the early '80s, because someone backed into it. It was replaced with a southern door. I know all this as fact because my father purchased this car in 1982 & it was original, except for it had a Pontiac 350 ci motor in it.

My intention is to do a "Pro Resto", with a stock interior, stock appearing motor, completely stock body yet do 4 wheel disc brakes, 18" wheels, etc.

I have built many Pontiac motors myself. They are no more work than building a chevy. They may cost a little more than a cheapie small block chevy rebuild, but a Pontiac motor is still cheaper than building a Big Block Chevy. Believe me, I have had my share of BBC's too. Plus, it don't take much to make a Pontiac motor run.

I am in no way trying to disrespect Chevy motors.

EDIT: I built the motor in my truck, but had some assistance from LPE in porting the heads & intake & used their choice in a Hyd Roller cam. They dynoed it when done. I didn't want anybody to get the idea that I build my own motors, but had LPE build my BBC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome, my uncle has a place in Apollo, your not too far are you??
Not at all. I lived in Apollo for 10 years, up until August 2005, when I bought my house in Greensburg. Apollo is about 1/2 hr away.

What kind of place does he have?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts