Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 Ford Van 300. Conversion Van.
The meter in the van jumps from ~14 amps and spikes to above 16 amps. All the lights go from normal to brighter. Gets worse at higher rpms. Problem is on/off. Sometimes it'll be fine others needle is jumping all over. I've had the alternator tested and it was fine. If it is a sporatic problem with the regulator would it show up all the time. If its a short in the wiring would the lights spike higher or just blink off? Any help is appreciated, electrical ain't my thing.
As Always Thanks
Craig 69Chevelle SS (Stored for Winter)

------------------
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,229 Posts
Sounds very much like a regulator going bad/sticking, although it could be due to a bad ground. 1st thing to do is to ensure ALL your connections: Battery and alternator are clean and make good contact. If that doesn't fix it, I'd swap the regulator/alternator. Since it's not dropping down below 12V, I'd say no shorts.

------------------
71 Ragtop
MCC #347, TC (Gold) #174
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Sid Coleman (edited 12-04-2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
I may be all wet on this one but here's my thoughts FWIW-

If the amperage is jumping up, it points to an intermittant loading problem.

The fact the lights get brighter also means there is a loss of voltage regulation at the same time.

Check the wire going from the battery to the alternator. Wiggle it while the engine is running. Do you see the problem come and go? If so, the battery cable is probably shot due to internal corrosion. If not, I'd suspect the battery itself is on the way out. I'd lean more toward the latter due to the combination of the increased loading problem along with voltage spiking...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
craigly,working for advance i have seen this many times,ford had a bad problen with their alts. getting hot and melting the plug. there are two plugs one small and one large,the large one is usually the culprit,if you haven't already pull that plug and get some dielectric grease to fill the plug this helps disipate heat and keeps the plug from melting if it has melted you can buy a new connector at advance or any parts store. also the headlight switch connector on the back of the headlight switch will get hot and melt if this has happened i beleive there is a service bulletin at ford for this condition,the plug and switch have to be replaced and like the alt. filled with dielectric grease to help with overheating. if all else fails it sounds like an intermitant problem in the alt.also check ALL grounds they were bad about those too. hope this helps.JIMK let us know.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top