Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2002 TrailBlazer[at least its a Chevy], the brakes work fine, but if you are sitting and apply pressure, the pedal eases to the floor. With engine off, no problem - pedal is rock hard. Any ideas???

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Don't know if they are the same but a friend of mine had bad rear calipers in a 2002 2500HD. Might want to check them out. How about a vacuum leak around the booster? I think that might cause the problem too.

Good luck
Jeff

·
Registered
148 Posts
Should be under warranty take it back to the dealer. If it is something that has developed over time get the complaint documented ASAP. A buddy of mine returned a 3500 truck under the lemon law a few years ago because of brake issues they (GM) could not fix.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys - definitely under warranty [appointment Wed] but the service advisor seemed to think it was normal. I hope he just was discounting my description since he hasn't driven it yet.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
On a non-ABS system that's a typical symptom of a master cylinder going bad. Fluid seeps past the seals and the pedal goes soft. Don't know if that's the problem but maybe that piece of information may help. Let the service manager know that you consider this a problem.

·
Registered
348 Posts
My 1995 S10 Blazer just experienced the same symptoms. The pedal would get soft and go to the floor, but also the barkes would grab if you applied the brake pedal with a nice even pressure. You had to ease on the pedal to prevent it from grabbing. It turned out to be the inner booster diaphragm failed. It would hold a vacuum from the engine side but there was a vacuum leak on the firewall side and you could hear it hissing inside when you applied the brakes. I replaced the booster and it fixed the problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks 65elcamino, it seemed like it should be vacuum related - I'll know soon

Tom

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I have a 2002 Trailblazer. The pedal travel seems long, but I have never suspected that anything was wrong. I'de be curious to see what the service adviser has to say.

Andrew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts