Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice or suggestions here on a little problem i am having with my truck. (96 Chevy Truck)

i have been noticing that every morning or when i let the truck sit more than 8 hrs, it struggles to fire up. its not the battery, because it does crank over, just struggles to crank right up.
after i turn it over about 4-5 times, it fires up. i will drive it and when its warm, every time i turn it on, it fires right up, with out cranking it 4-5 times like i do when it is sitting for long periods.
what could cause this?? :confused:

·
Premium Member
14,193 Posts
fuel system leakdown. Try posting this question over a www.fullsizechevy.com its free to sign up there and I am there as 021500HD. Try cycling the key a couple of time before you crank it.

·
Administrator
15,812 Posts
I had the same problem with my 96 Z-71. Cold starts were difficult, after the morning start it was fine. Finally I was using starter fluid in the mornings. Even though fuel pressure was within specs I changed the pump at the suggestion of another mechanic and the problem was solved. I still do not understand how the new pump with about 5 psi more pressure would fuel the engine better, must have had something to do with the spyder delivery system being really sensitive to the lower pressure. From the first symptom to the pump change was 6 weeks of troubleshooting and frustration.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the same problem with my 96 Z-71. Cold starts were difficult, after the morning start it was fine. Finally I was using starter fluid in the mornings. Even though fuel pressure was within specs I changed the pump at the suggestion of another mechanic and the problem was solved. I still do not understand how the new pump with about 5 psi more pressure would fuel the engine better, must have had something to do with the spyder delivery system being really sensitive to the lower pressure. From the first symptom to the pump change was 6 weeks of troubleshooting and frustration.

Mine is also a z71, so should i just change out the fuel pump??

·
Administrator
15,812 Posts
Ralph check the fuel system pressure, key on as well as running. If on the low side of specs I would suggest changing the pump. Not an easy job, I had access to a lift so I removed the bed rather then drop the tank. The pump is reasonably priced for the 96, I suggest a GM replacement.

·
Administrator
15,812 Posts
Fuel pump relay has a back up, the oil pressure switch. The ECM will engage the fuel pump when it sees ignition and oil pressure. Usual signs of a bad relay are cranking long enough for the oil pressure guage to start rising.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.