Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine put in a hydraulic roller cam in his bb but since then the motor sounds like its vavle train isnt getting the right oiling. We replaced the rockers, exchanged the lifters, inspected everything for wear and defects, primed the motor and it recieves plenty of oil to the top end, vacuum is steady without fluxuations, idle is good (no variances) , installed new pipe plugs behind the cam gear (previous ones drilled for lubrication), changed the oil twice with varying weights and inspected for metal in oil and cut the filter open no defects noted. and lastly checked all clearances ie; lifter bore, vavle face. All suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Bob, I don't know much about hyd. rollers but this past winter I went to a solid flat tappet. I couldn't believe that the solid is quieter than the high-rev hydraulic. Do your valve covers have the drippers? Maybe that would be of help. Rick.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey Bob,
I have a solid roller in mine and you can hear the rockers over the open exhaust. I am like Rick I don't know much about Hyd. rollers and I don't no how loud the noise is but it might be normal. It sounds like you have everything right, but were you referring to oil restrictors in the back of the block? If so you might need to take them back out, Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Aug98 (edited 05-14-99).]

·
Registered
129 Posts
It seems to me that Hydraulic Roller lifters would be as quite as you could get......but then of course thats what I used to think about Roller Rockers too.....WRONG.
I have been running Comp Cams Magnum roller tip rockers in my BB for around 8 yrs and to this day I still could swear I have a ticking lifter or loose rocker arm.
When I first put them on and noticed it I chased this noise for several weeks.....new header gaskets, thinking the head was cracked around an exhaust port, new lifters, new cam.....even after all that I still hear that faint "tick, tick, tick".....must be me, cuz no one else has ever seemed to notice......Funny how little noises like this always seem louder to You.
I have also been in cars with full Roller Rockers......talk about noisy!
So, after all this hee-haw, I guess what I am trying to say is......if roller rockers are noisy, maybe its normal for roller lifters to be a little noisier also.

Shannon

·
Registered
78 Posts
I do believe you will have noise with hyd rollers because of the severe opening and closing ramp angles, I currently have a solid roller (I'm making the switch to hyd roller cam next weekend) in my big block and at .015 lash these babies really crack out some noise!
Have you checked with the cam/lifter manufacturer?

------------------
Sean
Heavy '73

[This message has been edited by Sean Flanagan (edited 05-14-99).]

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really appreciate your guys input on this subject. The noise is definitely not normal its a metallic sound kinda like a bad lifter. I run a hydraulic roller cam and roller rockers in my bbc without any such noise. Also his noise is with or without vavle covers and you can put a stethoscope along the vavletrain and here it most pronounced in the top end. Thanks for anything and everything. If we ever figure it out we'll post it. PS also checked cam part numbers there right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.