Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1978 EC with CC, I have removed the dash and put liquid graphite down both cables but I still have a squeeky speedometer. It is the sweep style, the needle stays pretty steady but above 20 mph it is loud. Could it be the speedometer it self or something else?
Thanks for any help. Bob

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had an '80 Chevy truck that had a squeaky speedometer. Inside, there's a big part that spins around a coiled-up spring part. The coiled up part moves the needle, and the big part is driven by the cable. Anyway, you might be able to put some graphite on the outer surface of the springie thing so that they don't rub together so much, but you'll probably end up in much the same position as me - with a new speedometer in your vehicle.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just noticed today that it was warmer that it isn't that loud. It must be the cold that makes it stiffer. I am going to pull it out this weekend and try to lube it. Thanks Bob

·
Registered
49 Posts
I seem to have the same problem when it's cold. But not only is it loud, the needle starts going all over the place...

Guess I'll just have to make a custom gauge setup.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I've had the same cold-weather problem with a 68 and also my current 70. In both cases a little bit of light weight lube in the cable cured it completely. Hope it works for you too.

------------------
Bob Von Kaenel
70 SS 54k orig miles
My car.
The red interior.
The engine.
Hood trim.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put a whole tube of liquid graphite in about 6 months ago. Somewhere I seem a speedometer cable end piece, it is black plastic. Do these wear out?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts