Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last winter I had the 396 out of my '68 chevelle rebuilt and modified from 325hp to 418hp. It was bored, stroked, decked, heads milled, etc. I had a hydraulic roller cam, roller lifters and rockers installed. Shortly after installing it I was getting some gas and when I restarted it it had a loud tapping noise that went away in about 30 seconds. I got it home and checked out everything I could, but since it wasn't making the noise now I couldn't find anything wrong and it was running fine. I put 1000 miles on it with no problems. Then. a few weeks ago I was out cruising and the noise suddenly came back as I was driving and isn't going away. It's not there when the engine is cold, but as it warms up the noise starts to come back and gets louder as it gets warmer. It sounds like a single cylinder. Using a stethoscope I believe that it's #1 or #3 cylinder. I've adjusted the valves several times with the engine running and it seems to quiet down for a few seconds but then come back. I'm using 10 w 30 oil. The oil pressure is around 65psi cold and 35psi hot. I believe, and hope that it's a faulty lifter but wanted some other opinions from more knowledgeable people. Searching this site for noisy lifters it seems that everybody else's problem is that they're noisy when cold and then quiet down as they warm up where my problem is the opposite. Which makes me think that maybe it's a bearing or something else that is the problem. All opinions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14,987 Posts
Leaky header gasket? Doesnt hurt to crank down on the header bolts

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,421 Posts
Can you make a video of the car running so we can hear the noise too. It would help in trying to figure it out.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I took a video of it with my wife's Kindle Fire but I can't figure out how to attach it to this site. I was able to email it to myself if that helps. How do i attach It here?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks, I took a video of it with my wife's Kindle Fire but I can't figure out how to attach it to this site. I was able to email it to myself if that helps. How do i attach It here?
upload it to you tube then post link to you tube

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, Guys; I managed to get a hold of the builder and email him the video and he was able to hear it. He immediately agreed that it's a bad lifter, probably not pumping up. He told me how to id which one and we'll decide whether to change them all or just the pair.

Thanks for all your help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts