Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what components and what readings I should get from my starting system? I just completed my front end rebuild and many electrical components were removed and replaced. I must have crossed a wire somewhere because now I don't even get a click. New starter, battery, voltage regulator & altenator. :confused:
67' El Camino, 427 w/points distributor.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Is the ground cable attached to clean sufaces? Should have a large cable tied to the block and a small cable to the inside right fender.
On the positive side, without the car running, you should see 12 volts to ground on the BAT terminal on the fuseblock. Not seen there?
Check the large red wire on the horn relay. Not seen there?
Check the junction block that's behind the battery.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My ground is from a brand new battery to a brand new starter. No wire is going to my fender. Also, the "R" terminal from my starter is going to a connector on my firewall, I beleive this may be wrong. I'm at work now so I can't verify too much.
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
“My ground is from a brand new battery to a brand new starter.”

Battery (-) “ground goes to the engine block. Battery (+) goes to the starter.

“No wire is going to my fender.”

Car was designed to have a small pigtail lead from battery (-) to the right inside fender.

“Also, the "R" terminal from my starter is going to a connector on my firewall, I beleive this may be wrong.”

“R” was a yellow wire that went to coil (+).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John, I was wrong. Battery ground goes to engine block. I'll check out the connection when I get home. And since I had no electrical problems in the past mabey the fender is ground via another wire. As for the "R" post on my starter, looks like I crossed the wires, hope I didn't fry anything.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
There should also be a smaller wire from the positive battery terminal to a junction block on the radiator core support. That wire feeds power through to teh horn relay and on to back of teh fuse panel on the firewall.

Check out this link to Dale's sight, he's got scans of the '67 schematics.

http://www.team67.com/index.htm

The diagram for all the wiring under the hood is here:

http://www.team67.com/images/engine_lighting.jpg

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One last hurdle. I purchased a new Powermaster Hi torque starter as suggested in this post and the starter now engages my engine and spins nicely. Problem is there is no spark. I believe it is due to the wire that went to the "R" terminal of my old starter. My new starter only has two terminals.Also, I have a points distributor so I believe I still need current to my coil "+". I've read in earlier posts that another starter is required that has 3 terminals but Powermaster states in there instruction sheet to run a 3A/400DIN diode from the starter to the coil. Has anyone tried this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts