Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to identify the specs on a 70 chevelle if its missing the vin# and the cowl tag? BTW This 70 chevelle is in rough shape, frame is very good. the body is all surface rust.there is no body from the firewall forward,just frame rails and a radiator support. I was told by the owner I could have it for free but, this car looks beyond my level of skill and beyond any budget I could afford. It needs everything! from door handles to interior . would any of you tackle this car? Should I try? .................Joe454

------------------

–Joe–
"67 Malibu"

·
Premium Member
6,955 Posts
It seems hard to pass on any free Chevelle. However, unless there are parts that you need or can sell, I would do just that. First off, if there's no VIN# you are going to have a problem establishing ownership. Even if you get a title, the legitimacy of the car to law enforcement will be questionable. You will easily spend hundreds of dollars or many hours just to establish your ownership.

Sounds like a '70 Chevelle that I have, with one exception. I do have the vin, cowl tag and title.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I'd say Alan is right on this. There is a reason you see untitle cars go for low dough in the papers. I was given a Pinto (hey, it was free) as my first car. It had been abandoned on my bosses property by a renter. A police search had to be done which cost me $85, but I got lucky and it wasn't stolen. Who'd steal a brown Pinto anyway?
I also bought a Capri which had been brought in from out of state. I had to have the VIN# checked and it turned out some idiot at the dealership had mistyped the VIN# on the title. I had to send to Chicago for a reprint of the title with the correct VIN# on it. It cost me money and time.
I was very fortunate to have proper documentation in both cases. I would think you'd have a pretty tough time establishing ownership. There would be lots of waiting and money spent. If you wanna strip it for parts I say yes, but otherwise save yourself the headaches.

------------------
Tom H.
Member #259
www.iquest.net/~bharold/chevelle/

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, The owner found a title he thinks is to the 70 chevelle. Here it is : 1644601106579 ....I hope he found the right title. I hope someone could run a check on this VIN and let me know what turns up. And as always, all you're help is greatly appreiciated! Thanks!.............Joe454

·
Registered
233 Posts
Joe,
That VIN came from a Canadian Chevelle.Don't know much more then that.US models read like 13637

------------------
Dean Ciampi
Autumn Gold 1970 LS6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold #52 Aces #3094

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Sorry, Joe. That VIN is for a '70 Impala 4-door 3 seat wagon, built in Oshawa Ontario Canada (right, Dean)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Your right Dave.Not a Chevelle Vin,built in Canada though

------------------
Dean Ciampi
Autumn Gold 1970 LS6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold #52 Aces #3094

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Boy, this free chevelle deal keeps getting worse. Think I'm gonna pass on it. If I find a different VIN for the car I'll post it but, even if I find the right title to the car it doesn't change the fact that the car is beat. Thanks for all your info.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Off the track, is there any place to get a replacement VIN tag? my 70 elke had so much rust below the windshield I have only the last three numbers readable ( on a cut out piece of body( I keep it in the glove box)). Previous owner replaced the top of the cowl with pass car tin (it looks good) but the VIN tag has the sedan chassis #. The door sticker, block & trans #'s match the title. I had it looked at by the Sheriff, and said the car was legit.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
My guess would be that the title went to the same place the vin and cowl tag went, and somewhere there is a car pretending to be this car. What would happen if you do find the VIN (like on a build sheet or frame) and try to get it titled, and it show that that VIN is being used by someone who lives in the next city over? Do you pursue the issue in getting the other persons title null and voided?

My personal feelings are that if the vin and cowl tag are missing, they are either being used to retag a stolen car, or some other documentation was found to show that it was an SS, and someone bought them to legitimitize a clone.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I possibly got the year wrong,maybe a 71. How bout this VIN? 133371B160001 ( I'm just grasping at straws now
)

·
Registered
75 Posts
If the VIN plate and cowl tag are missing, this is a gamble. I wouldn't purchase anything with the VIN #s altered, or missing a tag.

These vehicles are referred to as defaced vehicles, and the state issues a VIN if the original tag is missing. This kills the resale value, and this is like purchasing a handgun with the serial numbers filed off. This occurs with late model vehicles, when sections of another vehicle are grafted and/or salvaged.

Tampering with the VIN is a crime punishable under state and federal laws, and can result in a prison sentence. No one would like to be in a cell in Leavenworth or Lewisburg, and become someone else's property. Not only just a prison sentence, but a criminal past that leads to job discrimination, long term unemployment, a disgrace to your surname, and ostracism from society.

------------------
Weyoun X (the tenth clone)
descendant of a former Chevelle owner

http://www.angelfire.com/tx/lonestarclassics/acar.html

1969 Chevelle Memories Page
http://members.tripod.com/~seributra_d/time_and_memories.htm

Chevelles (and A-cars) On Screen
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/5196/a_car.html

Disco-Era Classics
http://homepages.go.com/~55498/hooptie.htm

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
133371B16001
1 = Chev div of GM
3337 = Chevelle, 300 Deluxe, 2dr. 6-cyl (6660 of this model produced)
1 = 1971
B = Blatimore assy plant
16001 = assy plant sequence #
This is a 1971 Chevelle VIN

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Per H5O's reply. Here in Oklahoma if the State re-issues a new VIN.. it's an UGLY thing! They stamp it in the driver's side door jam (where it meets quarter panel) using numbering stamps literally 3/8th's of an inch high. At least they did this 10 years ago. A co-workers son was going to buy a 1982 Z28 and had me look it over. I told her about the re-stamp of the VIN, only then did the owner tell them that it was a theft recovery.

I told her I thought it wasn't such a good deal.

Thanks, Len

------------------
our Website:
netscape.net/thebowtiegang/homepage

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.