Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the gauge cluster (idiot light dash) and the steering column on my 70 SS. Now the turn signals dont work at all. The 4 way flashers work with just the right front and left rear. The ignition switch (down on the column) is different, the spades are spaced differently (it's actually upside down on the mounting bracket) but I can get the plugs on it if I twist them around a little but the slot for the rod coming down the column is too short. I took the switch off the other column but the rod is the wrong length to activate the switch. So, I know I can put the original column back in but I want to make sure thats what the problem is with the turn signals. Could it just be a ground? How do you ground the cluster?
Thanks.
Ron

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, I changed from a idiot light cluster to another one, mostly because my speedometer had the PRNDL1L2, (used to be auto). I used the printed circuit that came with the replacement cluster (used). My turn signals DID work before this change. I changed the column because the column in the car was out of a full size car (too long).
Everything worked before. So, Could it be a bad ground in the cluster is the big question or a bad connection in the printed circuit? Its not that the indicators on the dash dont blink (they dont) but they dont blink outside either.
Could it be a bad wire in this column. I bought it at a swap meet, it's supposed to be out of a 70 Chevelle.
Ron

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Ron,
the ground for the cluster is a black wire that is riveted to the back of the cluster and runs down to the ebrake lever mount. If it is missing you can easily add one. Do the dash backround lights work? As far as the column, you may not have a 70 chevelle one. My columns from 69 to at least 72 all have the same connector. Tilt colums have the connector flipped over but the wires are still in the same slots. Wire color pretty much stays the same so compare your wires slot for slot and color for color to the column that works. If things match up it could be a bad turn signal switch.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I'm thinkin that you got the plug on the steering column unpluged or goofed up. If the ts lever switches the circuit, there isn't anything else other than a fuse to stop the blinker from working. Don't look for a ground wire,thats not the problem. Did the flasher come unplugged?
Blow a fuse? wires to the Ts switch loose or missing?

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I just got them working. I took the switch off the old column and put it on the new column and they still didnt work, so I put the old column
back in and now they work. I guess there must be something inside this column that is messed up, maybe the turn signal switch itself.
Thanks.
Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts