Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I put all new wireing harnesses under the hood of my 70 SS, new engine harness and lighting harness. At the same time, I also changed from turbo 400 to 4 speed, I also changed the steering column from auto on column to floor shift tilt, also to HEI. I dont have a clutch safety switch hooked up as I havent changed the under dash harness yet. I finally got everything hooked up, new battery, new cables, new starter, new alternator, regulator, horn relay, EVERYTHING!
I turn the key and get nothing, no click no nuthin.
Where did the old neutral safety switch hook up on the turbo 400? Would that cause it? Can it be jumped?
Any ideas what else it could be?
I already made sure the collar on the steering column is turned all the way around.
I have dash lights, no radio in the car or wiper motor yet to test the power to those.
Thanks for any help.
Ron

------------------
70 Chevelle SS396 (427)M21 Before / After
66 Nova SS 327 M20
95 Z28 Convertible T56
Aces 3081, TC #54 Gold

·
Gold Founding Member
64,449 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ToocoolZ28:
I dont have a clutch safety switch hooked up as I havent changed the under dash harness yet.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You probably ned to jumper the two large purple wires that go to the switch to make sure you are getting 12 volts on the purple wire to the starter solenoid

With an auto trans. the neutral safety switch was on the column and was also the back up light switch (4 wires)

·
Registered
293 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dean:
With an auto trans. the neutral safety switch was on the column and was also the back up light switch (4 wires) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that true? I noticed in the GU catalog there is a neutral safety switch listed for console automatics.

------------------
Mark
1970 SS454 LS6 (nom)
TH400/4.10 posi
Formerly Cranberry Red now War Bonnet Yellow
-------------------------
"Fight Apathy - the disease no one cares about."

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
ToocoolZ28 started out with auto on column so the switch would be located at the base of the column. If you have the console automatic then the switch would be on the console shifter.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Don't forget to check the electrical ignition switch mounted on the column. They are different between a tilt and non-tilt column. It could be that the switch is not being activated correctly to supply power. Best to get a wiring diagram and start checking continuity and voltages. Time consuming, yes but the best way to trace problems.

Also, since you put new harnesses on, check for clean terminals. They coat the firewall plug and often times the terminals are all covered and will not make contact. I just had that happen to me. When you say you didn't change the under dash harness yet, is it because the old is in rough shape or because you are going from a sweep dash to an SS dash. That may also make a difference.

------------------
ACES #5032
TC #1074

·
Gold Founding Member
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope, not changing from a sweep dash, this is an SS with the round gauges. The under dash harness is in just as bad shape as the under hood harnesses were. Every wire has been cut, spliced or just replaced, there are wires just hanging, going no where. But this car did start before I took it apart.
I believe the problem is related to the steering column change.
Thanks everyone, I'll let you know.
Ron

------------------
66 Nova SS 327 M20
95 Z28 Convertible T56
Aces 3081, TC #54 Gold

·
Gold Founding Member
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dean, you da man. I jumpered those two purple wires and it spins right over. Can I just cut the plug off and twist them together permanatly?
Thanks to all you guys.
Ron

------------------
66 Nova SS 327 M20
95 Z28 Convertible T56
Aces 3081, TC #54 Gold

1 - 7 of 7 Posts