Team Chevelle banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the Mad electrical remote starter solenoid. I ran the r wire from the solenoid to the positive side of the coil. When I tried to start the car I had no spark. I changed the coil and realized it had been wired backwards before. I wired it the right way but still no spark. Could I have fried the resistance wire or something in the distributor. I have a 70 with points ignition.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have everything wired right, I called Mark at Mad electrical and double checked. I have power to the coil but still no spark and the coil is brand new.
I am just wondering what else it could be.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, so I have 12 volts at the positive terminal on the coil with the key in the on position. When I crank the engine it drops to 9.5 to 10 volts. When I pull the coil wire from the distributor cap to check for spark nothing. Any ideas.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The starter circuits and the ignition circuit have nothing in common. Rethink what you've done and the motivation behind it.

·
Gold Founding Member
10,972 Posts
The starter circuits and the ignition circuit have nothing in common.
This is a points-style ignition, so what the starter circuit and the ignition circuit have in common is the "R" terminal on the Delco solenoid (or the "I" terminal on the Ford solenoid) and the wire connecting to the ignition coil + terminal.

Given a choice, I'd be pulling power from the I terminal of the Ford solenoid rather than the R terminal of the Delco solenoid--but--either one SHOULD work.

You have power to the coil. PUT A DWELL METER ON THAT ENGINE and tell us what the dwell is.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
I would be checking the condenser in the distributor also. They often fail by shorting to ground which grounds your points. That'll rob you of spark instantly.

·
Gold Founding Member
10,972 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't have the tools to check them, I can replace parts alot easier. I am about to ditch the whole system and go with a MSD setup.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree with Schurkey, stop throwing parts at the car and figure out what the real problems are.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Are the points opening and closing? What's the gap? It's been a while since I messed with points, but as I remember if you turn the engine to where the points are closed with the dist cap off, then turn the rotor against the centrifigal advance springs, which should open the points and fire the coil. Does it? Good luck, Jim.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts