Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, have a problem. I have a MSD distributor with a MSD Blaster 2 coil on my blown 402 bbc. The car was running fine but then just quit. I checked to see if I had spark and dont. I checked the distributor coil & cap and all is good. Could the coil be trashed? Is there another way to test the coil? If the voltage regualtor was bad it wouldnt even turn over right? Any ideas/help would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Not familiar with the MSD ditributors but if it was an HEI I would imediately say ignition module. If the coil doesn't get a trigger signal then no spark.

Troy.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
You don't say which distributor, but if its the "ready to run" (8360) be sure that the Ground wire for the distributor is good and tight to engine ground. This would be the Black wire on the three wire pigtail, Red is to coil + and orange to coil -. If you're using it with a "box" the Black is still ground, Red to switched 12V and Red on box and Orange to White on the box.

------------------
Dave Bradley
www.corvetteforum.net/classics/d1_bradley
'69 SS396 ragtop
'33 3W Coupe
'65 Vette BB Roadster

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,,,thanks for all the help. I did try using another coil and still no spark. The distributor I have is the MSD #8360. The ground I had was connected to the firewall and I thought was good since I had it running and was driving the car. Last night I disconnected that and tapped it against the engine ground and no spark there or at the coil....so I'm stuck hoping its not the distributor since its not that old. Could it be the magnetic pickup on the distr.? I dont have a ohm meter to check it unless theres another way,,,thanks.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Since you haven't had the distributor very long, chances are it is still under warranty. May be better to contact MSD about checking it out for you. Their site address is: www.msdignition.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts