Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '70 Elky and it has a vinyl top and I believe that it had two tone green and silver paint (below rocker trim) because I scraped the paint off down there and found some silver and some silver on the "shelf" of the rocker panel that you see when the dor is opened. The cowl tag reads: 45 GPNT
I would think if it was tow tone the number would be between the 45 and G but it's not. Would I be able to find it on the build sheet? Thanks....Shawn

------------------
1970 Chevy Custom El Camino aka Kaileigh
Built on: November 25, 1969 in Baltimore
Green Mist #45 w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP 4bbl Small Block
Factory Dual Exhaust and Rally Wheels
www.dreamelectric.com

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The way Chevrolet lists the silver is, (This is taken from an El Camino packet I got from GM when I ordered my restoration packet) this is for a '72 but I believe it to be appicable to a '70 as well.

"El Camino
Custom El Camino Model
(The Custom model includes all items listed for Standard model except for the following additions or substitutions)

Bright Appearance Items
-Grill center strip moldings
-Fender lower side moldings
-Door lower side molding
-Rear quarter lower side molding
-Wheel opening front and rear edge moldings
-Window Reveal Moldings: Side doors

Hidden Windshield Wipers

Siler Paint: Full length side below lower side moldings

Interior Features
Additional interior items included in Custom El Camino models.
-Carpeting: Color keyed
-Colors, Imterior Trim: Choice of black, Tan or Covert
-Headliner: Deluxe vinal coated
-Instrument Panel Crown Pad and dull paint finish
-Mirror; Rearview: Dull finish chrome on back and support
-Seat: Full width with custom vinyl trim"

I hope this helps

------------------
Bryan Shook
Burgettstown, Pa.
1972 El Camino
www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6673
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for that info and taking the time to type it up. What color should the door jamb bottoms be?? I scraped the paint off and they're green but the side of the rocker (the side of the "shelf" where the weatherstrip seals the bottom of the door) is green. I really need to know about the bottoms of the jambs. What about the woodgrain on the tailgate? Was this an option or was it standard on all Custom El Caminos? Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Shawn (edited 10-19-99).]

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The door jams are the main body color. The top of the rockers are painted silver where in comes into the door jam. As for the top part of the silver where the chrome is, it almost looked like the door was closed and the paint was just like overspray in there. If you look at my homepage there are some pics of my '72 El Camino it has this silver bottom. As for the tailgate woodgrain, I know that there was a delete option that would add a black stripe in between the mouldings. I don't know about the total delete for everything on the tailgate. I have seen people not put anything on the tailgate and it looks decent, but I like the woodgrain.

------------------
Bryan Shook
Burgettstown, Pa.
1972 El Camino
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't tell that easily on mine because the door jambs are covered in paint and the jamb by the quarter panel has no bottom (rusted out). I checked out your El Camino page and that a really nice Elky you have.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thanks for the comment about my car. I have a pic showing the door jam area w/o the door or fender on the car, but it is at home and I am I college.
It looks like the door was installed, but the front fender wasn't installed when the silver was painted. The bottom part of the cowl, the part the lower dogleg of the fender covers is painted silver and the upper is painted body color up to where the black starts.

------------------
Bryan Shook
Burgettstown, Pa.
1972 El Camino
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I found it, the delete code for the tailgate chrome and woodgrain.

BW1 - Delete tailgate orametation. This would deletet the fake woodgrain or the black stripe on all '70-72 El Caminos or GMC Sprints.

B81- Delete tailgate molding. This would delete this would delete the horizontal trim stripes on the tailgate of a '70-72 El Camino or GMC Sprint.

------------------
Bryan Shook
Burgettstown, Pa.
1972 El Camino
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The '68-'72 "Standard" model El Caminos & Sprints did not have the woodgrain or the two horizontal trim strips either. Most of the El Caminos out there are the "Custom" model, so most have it.

------------------
Dan Carr
[email protected]
Team Chevelle Gold Member #11, ACES #701
Author of the GMC Sprint, El Camino, and '68-'72 SS Authentication pages.
See my GM A-body fleet at:
www.rmi.net/~dcarr/cars/cars.HTM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.