Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help finding why the dash lights on my 1970 Chevelle aren't working. I thought it was a fuse but when I checked the fuse it was good. Next I checked to see if the fuse was getting any power from the fuse block and there is no power coming from the terminal where the fuse plugs in to the fuse block. What should I check next.

thanks,
josh

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
The headlamps switch also controls the brightness of the dash lamps as well. So be sure to check continuity through the headlamp switch. As you rotate the headlamp switch knob clockwise the dash light will get brighter, fully clockwise will turn the overhead light on and fully counter-clockwise will shut the dash lamps off.

If this switch is not properly working you may have to replace it.

FastSS396man

------------------
69' SS396 Chevelle
L78 396/375hp
M-21 Close Ratio
Cortez Silver
10 year Resto
It's brand new again!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The headlights and tail lights work fine.

If the dash light section of the headlight switch control power to the fuse for the dash lights?

Any way thanks for the ideas I'm currently in the process of packing so that I can move next week so I'll look into it some more after I finish moving.

josh

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JodySirmans:
Are you getting power to the PCB? Put a test light on the PCB to see if anything is coming thru. I had a similar problem, bad sockets, and grounds were killing my dash lights.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll have to check that in a couple of weeks after I finish moving. Right now my tools are packed and I got a bunch of stuff packed in the car. If it turns out to be the PCB I'll probably wait to fix it until I get enough money saved up to get a good set of aftermarket gages, since my car has the big speedo and dummy lights instead of gages for oil pressure, temp, etc.

I should probably check the wiring coming into the back of the fuse box to since the fuse for the dash lights has no power to it. Anyways I'll let you know what I find after I get moved into my new house and get a chance to diagnose the problem more.

josh

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem. I had put the dash back in and it didn't have a good enough ground. I took a small wire, connected it to the dash and clock screw and BAM...lights. If this helps, great.

eric
'66 convert.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts