Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 69 chevelle, which i bought recently. as it turns out one of the previous owners had a problem blowing the fusible link in the primary wire, so they replaced it with a small piece of steel. needless to say when the problem arose again it burned the primary completely in half. ive since rewired the majority of the wires running from the battery to the alternator and from the starter to the rest of the car replacing everything that looked like it could have been causing the fuse to blow in the first place but still can not get any power anywhere. ive since pulled the dash out and removed the wiring harness looking for burned or frayed wires to replace or repair but cant find any. what i need to know is are there anymore fusible links that i may be missing? and if so where? more info 69 chevelle stock 350 stock trans. i would appreciate any help thanks.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Like Dean says, first check for power at the battery pigtail. Next check for power at the horn relay. You first need to get power to the horn relay before anything else inside the car will work. If no power at the horn relay maybe a problem at the junction block?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok guys i checked and i am getting power to the horn relay and the junction block behind the battery but it seems to end at the fuse block, and where it goes from there is beyond me. anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated. im trying to figure this out and fix it the easy way without having to drop the cash and rewire the whole car.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Getting somewhere. I'll try this off the top of my head. Take a look at the horn relay. There should be large wire, probably red, that heads off to your right side (car's left). It should be in a bundle of wires that going inside the left fender. This bundle pops out of the fender up near the brake master cylinder and plugs into the connector on the firewall. This is part of the forward lamp harness. Once you've located everything:
1, Disconnect the battery.
2, Remove the forward lamp harness connector from the firewall.
3, Prop it up safety, so it doesn't fall and the pins hit anything ground.
4, Re-connect the battery.
5, Measure this large wire to ground. See if you have 12 volts.
Suspect that you may find the red wire pin on this connector is real dirty. Maybe that's the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok i found the problem the horn relay wasnt working properly. so instead of buying one i opened this one up and there was a wire loose so i soldered it back in place and the power was on. thanks guys i appreciate the help. thanks to you and me being so cheap my baby is back on the road where it belongs. JM

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Cheap electrical repairs is what it's all about. However, keep your eyes open for a good used relay. The solder won't hold up. Typically the joint was welded. It will come back to haunt you at the worst time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks john, ill run down to the parts store and pick one up. they have one just not in stock. the coming back to haunt always comes at the worst time.
again i appreciate the help and you guys letting me pick your brains my mechanic doesnt let me do that. JM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts