Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start from the begining. A few weeks ago I went to start up the Chevelle and the battery was dead. so I took the battery, charged it and put it back in. When I put the positive cable back on, as soon as it touched the terminal, it started sparking, by the time I got back to it to take it off the starter had spaked and smoked all over the place. I figured it had blown, so I replaced it went to start the car, it ran then died, so I figured it could be the alternator, I replaced it as it needed a new one anyway. Charged the battery and it ran, then died again. Turned out I had pulled to positive cable away from its aip tie and it was now on the header, partly burnt through, 80% of it was still there. Now the car has no power at all when I turn the ignition on. Could I have blown the starter again? I figured I would ask for help before trying anything again.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
A driect dead short in the positive cable to the header shouldn't blow the fusible link.

Check for power at the big post on the starter solenoid and work your way back.
yeah your right, it would cook the battery first, but you never know what else shorted while he was trying to get it disconnected.
No power inside the car ? Like Dean said get a test light and trace power back up the loom towards the firewall connector till you find an open circuit
Dave
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top