Chevelles.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I came out to a dead car, the engine didnt turn over but the starter did its clicking, My buddys car jumped it and it started fine. 20 minutes later I try to restart it as a test, and this time no clicking, no turning over.... totally dead, BUT I still have power to my lights and sterio... leads me to thinking bad alt, or starter, or bad wiring leading to them? It isnt a fuse either.... Anyone let me know if it sounds like you know what it may be...... thanks

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention my GEN light has been on the past few days, and power did seem a little low last night. I thought my alternator tested fine 2 months ago.... I really think its that, I dont want to pull anything yet, need $$$ and advice

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I hadnt had my Autometer Vol guage hooked up so I used it as my little tester. My battery direct from the terminal is giving out 12 Volts, and so is the positive terminal off the alternator..... just a quick update.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MMm, the alternator may be weak, it does look that way, supposed to be at 14 volts? I toyed with the ign wire on the starter and it fired up, now it gives me clicking again, it looks like it may be the wire and the alternator? :mad:

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by pnutkemist:
I really think its that, I dont want to pull anything yet, need $$$ and advice
Know the feeling of being short on dollars sometimes. Here's another option for you. Read through these articles in the attached links about converting to an internally regulated alternator. Head down to the local pick-a-part and locate the best looking 10SI or 12SI alternator you can find. Cut a good looking alternator connector off to replace yours. Alternators are around $20.00 here. Give them the extra couple of dollars for the warranty. I assume it works the same up there on warranties. Get someone like AutoZone to check out the unit to see if it functional. You should be ready to go now before you take the car apart.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/delcoremy.shtml

http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref14.html

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put in a new alternator, they said it was bad. My starter still clicks really fast though, and engine doesnt turn over yet. Hmm :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I assuming the clicking sound is the solenoid. As stated above is the battery charged? Are the battery cables clean and tight? The battery cables in good condition? What about the negative cable ground connection to the block? Clean and tight?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I really hope thats it, my friends bringing her wheels over, i'll give it some jump juice and hope it will start, the starter was recently tested and the alternator I put in last night the battery still says 12 volts, it wouldnt start at that right? Probably did drain it a little bit....

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by pnutkemist:
..and the alternator I put in last night the battery still says 12 volts, it wouldnt start at that right? Probably did drain it a little bit....
An alternator can be dead and a car will start. The battery starts the car. The alternator replenishes the battery after the car starts and runs the electrical items after it starts.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i hooked up the new alternator as i said before and was all good. It turns out it did juice the battery down to 12 volts, once i jump started it, it hopped right back up to 14! great...... thanks
back on the road :eek:

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Crap, its always something! I was pulling up and my volt meter which was not completed installed, the power port touched the metal frame and shorted it out and my car shut off, it still turns over but it doesnt start, maybe I blew a fuse.... as for my brand new guage..... :(

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok It was only a fuse and it all still works thank god! But since I installed these things, my fuel only works 15% of the time, its electronic, I thought it was a poor ground but that checked out fine..... so I have no idea! :eek:

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Poor ground, poor connection to 12 volts, or a poor sender wire input. Try putting something like a 45 ohms resistor to ground in place of the sender wire on the gage. Run that for a little bit. See if the gage stays at about 1/2 tank. That might narrow things down. I'm assuming the gage is good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts