Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just put a crate 350/330hp motor in my 70 chevelle. it's got an hei ignition, gm intake, and 600 cfm edelbrock with electric choke. the timing was set at 10 btc with the vacuum advance plugged up. plugs gapped at .045. the problem is that when i try to start it will run decent but as soon as the choke opens up it dies. i've tried adjusting the idle mixture screws but this didn't seem to help. also, if i put any kind of load on the engine(put it in drive) it bogs down and dies. i've checked for vacuum leaks around the carb and intake using starting fluid but didn't find any. any suggestions? is it a carburation problem? thanks.

Rich

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hook up the the vacuum advance canister and advance your timing a bit (or a lot!). It would be best to get new springs, weights, and bushings for that HEI if it has a lot of miles, also a new vacuum advance diaphragm, preferrably Accel

I do not think the motor will run right at all with the advance over-ridden on an HEI

Mike
Gold #34

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the hei is new. i have the vacuum advance hooked up to the passenger side port on the carb. i'll try running it through the canister.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i figured it out. the timing given on the spec sheet was 4 degrees off. got it running today. still needs some carb adjustment though. it dies at stop signs every once in a while. thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.