Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just put a crate 350/330hp motor in my 70 chevelle. it's got an hei ignition, gm intake, and 600 cfm edelbrock with electric choke. the timing was set at 10 btc with the vacuum advance plugged up. plugs gapped at .045. the problem is that when i try to start it will run decent but as soon as the choke opens up it dies. i've tried adjusting the idle mixture screws but this didn't seem to help. also, if i put any kind of load on the engine(put it in drive) it bogs down and dies. i've checked for vacuum leaks around the carb and intake using starting fluid but didn't find any. any suggestions? is it a carburation problem? thanks.

Rich

·
Registered
133 Posts
It still could be a vacuum leak, but from the inside. Does it miss any at all when you have the choke shut? Check your rockers to make sure they are not too tight as well.

Aug98
Gold #25

·
Registered
151 Posts
Rich 70, did you readjust the valves from the crate settings? I purchased the same engine for a 57. It ran perfect. (Engine off),turn the fuel screws all the way in (gently) until you feel them bottom out, back both screws out (2) 360 deg. turns. Remove coil center wire, remove #1 plug, put finger over plug hole and have someone "bump" over the engine until you feel air, line up balancer, timing mark, #1 wire, with the dist. rotor. You will probably find one of these things wrong.

I like to adj. the valves with the engine warm and running. Back off the rocker nut until you hear the tick, tick, tick of the rocker, turn the nut back down until the tick stops, then turn the nut very slowly another 1/4 turn. Only take off one valve cover at a time. I set the ratchet at 12 and turn it to 3. This will change on the rear cyls. This is messy, but I think it's the best way. You can buy oil stoppers that clip on the rockers that helps a little.

------------------
ACES #2637
TEAM CHEVELLE #69

·
Super Moderator
13,143 Posts
Rich,
Where do you have the vacuum advance hooked up to ? If it is not on straight manifold vacuum, give that a try and see what happens.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.