Chevelles.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad and I have been restoring a '71 Chevelle (SS) and are almost near completion. We have rewired the whole car (using old harnesses). He checked continuity to the starter and found no problems. However, when we turn the key (horn does buzz from the key, by the way), there is no click or anything from the starter. We jumpered power from the battery to the 'big purple wire' (wire that comes from the column/key to starter solenoid) and the starter bumped. Anyone had this problem re-wiring before? We can't find where the big purple wire goes from the engine compartment to column. Maybe there's also an internal problem in the column? Does anyone know where this should be coming from the column at? Also, we converted from points to HEI...what do we do to the old coil wires (as new coil is inside the distributor). Hook them up as normal or will we need to make a new connection to them into the rotor cap? Thanks for helping in advance.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Sounds like the neutral safety switch It will be in the console by the shifter if yours is a console car.

The old coil wire from the starter can be removed.
I'ts not needed with the HEI. Run power from a 12+ ign lead to the HEI if you haven't already

1 - 2 of 2 Posts