Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced the fuse and my test light comes on at the fuse box but I can not find any indication that I am getting power to the plug that goes into the radio.I have checked the plug with the car running and in the acc. position and I get nothing. I am not sure the original radio still works or not but it did when I took it out some 25 years ago.When I plug it in it does not light up so I am not sure what to check next. I just removed an old 8 track that I had wired directly to the fuse box and want to put a better radio in but I am wondering why the original pulg does not seem to work now or if I will have to wire a new radio directly to the fuse box like the old 8 track. I don"t remember why I did it that way years ago, getting old I guess, lol. Thanks for any help you guys may give me on this problem.

·
Registered
221 Posts
A multimeter would be helpful here . But first, jus tmake sure that both sides of the fuse clip are clean ...no corrosion ... some ligh sandpaper will work for that. Afterward, you can use a test light or multimemter to test power at the fuse box. Wityout a fuse in, you should have 12 volts on one side ... nada on the other ... A multimemter would be helpful her eto test continuity on the wire from fuse blcok to radio plug. you also need to have good ground at the plug end also. If you are putting in a new radio, it is a small nuisance to run a new line from radio fuse to radio since you will have to adapt wires/connectors to hook it up anyway. But, do make sure you have good ground. Hard to gess on a 25 yr old unit ... Verify your powersource first. The look at the unit ... Make sure there is not a 2nd fuse that is installed into the unit itself. Hope these suggestions help ...

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
WHAT YEAR??

All Pre-1970 radios have NO dial lamp wire tied into the dash light circuit, they light up every time they are switched on.

For the '70 Model year, the dial is lit WHENEVER the dash lights are on, regardless of whether the radio is on or not.

Turn the key to the ACC position, do you have 12 volts at the yellow wire?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I went to the fuse box before with the 8 track because I could not find a hot wire in the plug wires.There had to be one bacause the radio was working at that time. I will make sure I have a good ground and check the things you mentioned. Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a 72 model. My test light does not come on when I touch the yellow wire but I may not have had a good ground. I was using a screw where the speaker was mounted when testing and I was trying the radio when it was out of the dash using the same screw. I hate to be a dummy but I know very little about wireing.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Try measuring both sides of the radio fuse. Scratch in and put the probe on the fuse clip.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to thank you guys for the help. I went back and cleaned the fuse box connections . Then when I checked I had power to the right side only.With the fuse in I now have power all the way to the radio. The radio light does come on when I put running lights on. I have no sound but I think the speaker is bad. You guys helped me solve another problem . Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts