Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help...I did a manifold/carb/headers/alternator swap on my 72 Small block Chevelle. When I went to start it the motor cranked but there was no spark. I checked the coil with a test light and had no power to the coil. Coincidently the fuse for my turn signals blew out and blows when I put a new one in. I am very perplexed.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got power...I put a new fuse in and low and behold it didn't blow and I got power...Thanks for the response John

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Herb...you're right, I can't be lazy about this and hope it was just a bad fuse. I did move the wiring harness around a litle while searching for the problem so I might have just moved the wire away from the problem. I will be checking further.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Ouch. those are a bear sometimes to locate. Means something in the harness ain't kosher. I'd rather have the short so I can find it on purpose.

Look for "hot spots" on the harness wrapping in the engine bay. You may also wish to pull the bulkhead connector and insure the contacts are clean. I've seen some bad stuff happen in them. Consider hosing the contacts with CRC electrical spray or even WD40 at the least to lube and provide some rudimentary corrosion supression.

One thing you could do first is using clip leads, connect a test light to the wire leading to the coil (disconnect it from the coil) and turn the key on. Then move theharness around and watch the light to see if it flickers. That can help isolate the problem. By all means, try to fid it or you might be walking vs driving home sometime.

Good Luck!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts