Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been talking to people today about my no top end oiling problem and I have been asked more than once, Did I prime the lifters? A process described as submersing the lifters in clean oil and working them up and down until no bubbles come out of the lifter. Could this be why I have no oil on top? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,782 Posts
Bill,
You should not have to "prime" the lifters, matter of fact most camshaft manufacturers recommend that you do NOT do it as it will hold the valves open. I do not know your entire history. How long have you run the motor ? Or are you just trying to pre-oil it prior to start up ? Send me some details and I will try to help.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

·
Registered
133 Posts
What I was referring to when I said prime the motor was this. I have an old distributor with no gear on the bottom. I took all the guts out of the top and left just the shaft. I then attached a allen head bolt to the top in which I can use a drill or impact to turn.

With lifters set just like as if you were going to start the motor. Then drop this home made primer down into dist. hole onto the oil pump slot and stick a drill on the top and then start priming. You should slowly start to see oil creeping out the rockers moving one by one to the front. Be sure not to burn your drill up though cause it will take a few minutes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.