Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"86" El Camino 4.3L AC. AT. I had an over heating problem, I put in a 3 core rad., non thermo fan(it sounds like a jet taking off),120* thermo. and a transmission cooler. What are the chances it will over heat when I tow my boat(3,000lbs)? Any thing I forgot?
Thanks!
Correction thermo. is a 150*

[This message has been edited by Dave Flanagan (edited 04-14-99).]

[This message has been edited by Dave Flanagan (edited 04-14-99).]

·
Registered
622 Posts
Fan Shroud ???

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
It will never go into closed loop and the gas mileage will suck and it will toast the cat converter.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I would probably keep the stock temp thermostat, or very close within 10 degrees. Later engines are really engineered to run best AT a certain degrees.. If its really running that cool, i'd probably wire a switch to the electric fan so you could turn it off when you're not towing.. other than that i cant think of any reason why the other mods would keep it in open loop.

mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Dave,

I think I mentioned that I tow my boat all the time 3500lb, all semi stock in Phx AZ. My 80 El C is a daily driver and tow vechicle, with AC.
Michael
p.s. you can get back issues of Trailer Boating and get a reprint of their towing tests. El Caminos were tested for many years

·
Registered
151 Posts
It sounds like the boat weights more than the 86 El Camino. Not a good idea. Stay with the orig. stat. You have a smog engine and are suppose to run around 192 deg. Extra electric fan would help while towing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't even use a 160 degree thermostat in my 1965 230 Malibu. That is WAY too cold for any modern (post 1950's) automobile. You will get deposits in your oil and may even ruin your engine. Your car is designed to run a 192 degree thermostat - there is no advantage whatever in going lower than this. Putting in a cold thermostat will not cure overheating problems unless they are caused by one that is stuck closed. My $0.02.

Steve

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all I will up the thermotsat. Don't know what I was thinking, it's not how cool the motor is runing it's how fast I can cool the water.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The base model 78-87 El Caminos (3.8) weigh 3748 pounds according to gm specs. I tow my freinds 26' sail boat with my 84 El Camino and it tows it better than his f**d van. It has a 305 tpi, 2004r trans,3.73 rear. Just make sure you have a big trans cooler.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.