Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the topic about the demize of camaros and firebirds it brought to mind that there are no Hangouts surounded by Musclecars here. When I was younger we would gravitate too a Resturant. Where all the coolest guys and the prettiest girls and most of all the baddest cars in the county were.Then after we took our girl friends home.we would then get back as soon as possible knowing There would be a race brewed up by the time we got back pitting the best with the best. This had been going on for years. And Now its no more. I see
the same type of guys are now driving 4 door cars in poor condition that have never been wash in years and nor have they. they ride skateboards with their pants down around their butts.
Is this just here? or is this everywhere?
there use to be a time when the thought of driving a new camaro or firebird to a place like this was what dreams were made of.

PS. I remember driving my 80 Corvette 4speed "of which I still have" there and my friends gathering around it. Man no drug could be better than night !

·
Registered
948 Posts
wolfdaddy,
I'm 16, I love 50s built cars, I own a Chevelle, I'm a greaser...still no cruise spots. I did have one. It was just bikes & classic cars. Cops shut it down cause owner didn't pay taxes. Sad day. I am looking at starting up a cruise down here in my town. One day my friend, hot rods will reclaim the streets they once owned. Primer will be cool, flames will be adorned to cars, & coolness will be here once more. I don't see that happening anytime in the near future. It was different in the 50s, 60s, & 70s. Back then you didn't have to worry about someone pulling a gun on you cause you do not fit their expectations. Most kids are more into their riceburners than they are in old Detroit Iron. I'll fight to keep the spirit alive, but it is dwindling. I guess the only thing we have left is shows & cruises. And cruises aren't even cruises. You drive around the same street 5 times, park your car, couple hors later you do the same thing. Oh, and some of my pants are baggy, but they don't pass my butt. I wear a belt
Have a good day.

------------------
Jay W.
In-the-works 67 Malibu
surferwagons.8m.com

[This message has been edited by SoCalRat (edited 11-13-99).]

·
Registered
46 Posts
well , the kids today ( most of them anyway ) don't know alot about cars . there are many more distractions today than in our days of cruising the hot spots in the cars we put together . alot of them could not tell the difference between a squarebore or spreadbore carb to save their gigapet's life . there isn't alot , if any , cruising left around here either and that's really to bad 'cause now i have the kinda car used to ooh and ahh at but nowhere to show it off

·
Registered
174 Posts
SoCal same here, i am 16, drive a chevelle around my yard for now. still in process of resto to my specs. Every Sunday night there is cruize night where everyone who has or likes cars goes. there aren't ever many newer cars. I do find youg people now don't know much bout cars, i have a friend who tries to talk alot of tech things, i don't know why maybe tring to think he knows more than me or something but he doesn't really know all the tech things. I'm not saying i know everything that can be known but i can say i know more than some around my age. One reason too not much is going on now look at prices. Just bought a 396 and my dad and i are gonna build it because i don't have neer as much money needed to buy everything. I know it was prob the same "back in the day" but you dealed everything. my dad had something different almost everyyear when he was my age. also parents i feel aren't helping, mine are but most arn't. I must say it is sad when i hear someone in my school is selling a 78 montee for a rice burning, 100mpg car. i could go on for about 3 days about it but i will just stop here. my 2 cents

------------------
OWNER OF 66 CHEVELLE MALIBU
Check out page dedicated to resto of my chevelle. still being made.
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/9801/
Team Chevelle # 424
Canadian Classics Chevelles and Beaumonts #393

Fav Quote: Second place is the first loser...

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
It's up to us to keep tradition alive as long as we can. I'm planning on buying a fourth gen Camaro as soon as financially possible, just like I wish I had bought a Chevelle back in the seventies. I won't make the same mistake twice.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I'd like to echo a note here: My dad knew alot about cars. Course after he married my mom he went into the 60-a-hour week grind til' I was in high school.

He didn't have the interest to show me jack-sh#t about any of the car-stuff I know now. He even sold the 68 Impala my mom use'ta street race right before I turned 16 (the bitter [email protected]).

Anyway, I noticed that damned few of the friends my wife and I have now, that are 30 somethings also, work on or even have an old car. There are a few that have nice old cars, but bought 'em that way. Most can't believe I can work on it let alone that I would want to.

I doubt I'll ever do major engine or tranny work, but I've always felt that if I could take it off and put it back on with out breaking it (too much
) I could probably fix it (or at least drop it on the parts counter, point and say, "need one"
). Most of my friends just aren't interested in spending the time with it.

Well this is turning into a rant. So back to the topic......what was it again?

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu

www.wright.edu/~adams.6/chevy.htm
TEAM Chevelle Member #0086
Genx member (Founder 4 Ohio)

[This message has been edited by DG (edited 11-13-99).]

·
Registered
174 Posts
hey randy in that press release that gm made they say they are making a special edition camaro for the 2002 year. save up grab one of them. when the camaro comes back fwd and all you will say i have the last real camaro made. :)

------------------
OWNER OF 66 CHEVELLE MALIBU
Check out page dedicated to resto of my chevelle. still being made.
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/9801/
Team Chevelle # 424
Canadian Classics Chevelles and Beaumonts #393

Fav Quote: Second place is the first loser...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Well, I fell I must put my .02cents in here. I'm an 18yr old college student. I own 2 cars, my beater '91 Grand Spam which has more primer than pealing paint. And of course, I own my baby, '72 elky. I notice alot of things here at college. First off, no one is interested in classic Detriot muscle. There must be a gazillion rice burning, plastic, lawn boy powered Japenese "things" on this campus. And most of these people have probably never even driven a car or truck w/ a carburator. And to answer Yaounto's question is your totally correct about most of todays youth not being able to tell you the difference, or for that matter point it out to you.

------------------
Bryan Shook
Burgettstown, Pa.
1972 El Camino
www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6673
Favorite Quote: Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Sorry, had to post this: My friend & I are standing by his car, a 54 Chevy. A guy that goes to my school walks up to my friend & I(he owns a new Civic...5 in. exhaust pipe, automatic, drives it like it's a stick)and says "Whatcha got in it?" My friend opens it up...& says '396'. The kid asks, "What's that thingy?", referring to the carburetor & we tell him "It's a carburetor, 4 barrel." He looks at us with a weird face, turns around, walks back to his friends, & we hear him laughing. We were listening in on what he had to say(bad, I know) & he says, "Hey guys, it's got a carpet-raider! HAHA!" & they all laugh. I couldn't stop laughing. Now that I think about it, there went some of our future passing on knowledge unknown. I was talking to 81ElCamino on Instant Messenger about old drive-ins. There is only 14 left in California! 1 is not too far away from where I live. Even has the old microphones next to the parking place & still shows movies(modern of course). I wish we had that kind of stuff nowadays. Anyone ever buy a car for $10? I've heard so many, "Well back in the day, I bought my first car, a ___ ____ for $10(only in incriments of 10)."

·
Registered
994 Posts
Currently this is the longest stint (3mo)in the past 17yrs that my 67 Elcamino has set idle! I drive that sucker everywhere & its a show car!!! I could drive our 93 Park Ave, but I'd rather drive my Elky, its fun and creates enthusiasm. In fact I know of at least 5 guys that went out and bought Chevys from the 60's one is a '67 (427) Stingray. I believe seeing them on the road sparks the desire to have one. To me, having a classic always garaged, is like having a diamond in a safe deposit box, only to take it out once in a while to look at it.
I understand that there are inclamatic days (2'snow) when it's unsafe & I'm not that crazy

We have 2 cruizing spots.
1)Burgerking: cars rangeing from slammed VW's to concourse Packards.
2)Herfy's Burger: Where all the serious hotrodders show up. And all of this usually happens within the same night

FUN? You bet! Sometimes we stayout 'till 3AM & you will never see anyone intoxicated!!!

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60E trans
"Canyon Carver"

[This message has been edited by Cardiac (edited 11-14-99).]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Carpet-raider?? LOL!!! Thats something else, man. I would also bet that 396 was a 3.96 liter to him!

Kids build and modify their computers today. More RAM, more HDD, aftermarket graphic cards, bigger woofer, bigger monitor, joystics, internet connection, more soft/games etc. Also clothes, CD-s, cell phones and misc stuff.

Though some racing sims liks Test Drive have those euro "supercars" but with classic muscle like LS6 Chevelle (rated at 500HP, 187 mph), ZL1 Camaro(600hp, 205 mph!!), ZL1 Corvette (600hp, 200 mph!), hemi Cuda, AC Cobra, mustang, winged charger etc . That might help.

Dads are yuppies or otherwise car ignorant, no drag races, girls dig imports and thats it.

Ignorace is the key.

But i do all i can to avoid a ride along with FWD car/driver, because they do not drive safely, DUI, have zero emergency reflexes, no serious metal around me etc etc
I dont want to get killed, you know!

On a FWD car, if the rear starts to slide, its all over..

And I have RWD reflexes anyway. Among other RWD preferences.

what to do? burnouts?? cruises?

Movies too, for ex Blade (wesley snipes, black charger, good soundtrack for a hollywood movie, too)

But i just hate that all the classics in the movies are usually blown up or otherwise wrecked!

Still, i usually carry some pix with me, everybody seem to like "old" cars very much! Muscle, boyd, troy etc

Make a X-er smile, to quote that man Chas!

Partel.

------------------
Partel Roos
Tallinn, Estonia, Europe
Law Student, Tartu University (a.d. 1632)
GSM cell ph: +37 250 93828

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Gentlemen,
You are so right in saying that to most people, the thought of driving or working on an old car is totally foreign to them. No matter how nice the car is, it's still an old car. I'm 52 years old and bought my 70 Chevelle Malibu new in May of 1970. After getting out of the Army in September of 1969, it took me that long to save up a down payment for my first new car. Through the years we've restored it and brought it back from the dead a few times. This past summer we repainted it and did a total reatoration of the interior. Overall, the car looks brand new. Still, whenever we drive it to family functions or friends houses, they can't believe I'm still driving it. I have to park among the Volvos and Nissans or Toyotas. They call it a "hot rod". One so called friend actually said to me as we pulled into his driveway: "what are you driving this for?" I guess if he doesn't know the answer to that, I can't help him. Everyone seems to need a "yuppiemobile" SUV or a "ricemobile".
Sorry about my rambling, but I really feel sorry for most of the people who think this way. At least my 16 son and most of his friends are into the old Classics, and hopefully will pass appreciation of the "real" cars down to their kids. Like the old proverb says: "The apple doesn't fall far the tree".

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
Its not that kids today dont care about old cars . Its that they dont know what they are.You have to remember that the collage age kid today were born in the 80s. (starting to feel old) They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan Era.They can only remember one president.They were pre-pubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged.They were only 10 or 11 years old when the Soviet Union broke apart and dont remember the Cold War.They never feared a nuclear war nor the space shuttle blowing up.Tianamen Square means nothing to them.The Vietnam War is ancient history to them as is WW1,WW2. and Korea. they have no idea Americans were held hostage in Iran.They have never owned a record player or an 8 track player.The Compact Disc was introduced when they were 1 year old. As far as they know stamps have always cost around 33 cents and gas always been over $1.00 a gal.Their lifetime has always included AIDS and Bottle caps have always been screw-off and plastic.They have always had ansewering machines.Most have never seen a black-and-white tv set nor one with only 3 channels.Cars have always had front wheel drive, plastic bumpers and air.They have idea what a rust bucket is.Well i think your beginning to see where i am going with this-are hobby is in danger of being ancient history if we dont teach and share them with these kids .

------------------
CFR.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I guess I kinda have it lucky. In Chicago their are cruise spots nearly every night. Wensdays,Fridays,Saturdays,Sundays these are just the ones I frequent their are more. Their are two 1/4 mile tracks kinda close. Lots of place to fill N2O. Lots of respect for early iron on the street. Don't get me started on the the street racing scene!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I really don't know where to start. This is an excellent topic. I am 25 and I have to say that I have the most absolute and ultimate respect for our muscle car history.
My dad bought a ' 70 Chevelle Malibu brand new back in 70 and it has been passed down to me. I have been sinking money into it for the last 10 years. I have to thank my parents, muscle car mags, and my Chevelle herself for showing me the way. Now when I was growing up, playing with my Incredible Hulk action figure in the back seat, I didn't know what piece of history I was part of. I did know that at that time (late 70's), that many, many people would come up to my parents and say, "Hey, nice ole Malibu! Care to sell it?" and then they would ramble on about what they used to have and what they would give us for it.
THANK GOD.....my parents never sold her. Then one day I was reading comic books at the grocery store newsstand and happen to pick up a muscle car mag. There was a car just like we had. And then and there I realized I didn't just have an ole Malibu...nooooooo....I had a Chevelle. I had remembered dad telling some of his glory days with the mileage racked up 1/4 at a time.
I have been an incurable gearhead ever since. I shudder to think if they had sold her...or if they never cared about muscle at all. I probably would be driving....gag...I can't even say it.
As it is...my Chevelle is driven daily, and has received her first true dose of muscle. The original motor has been set in a vat of cosmoline in the barn for the future and a 355 hyd. roller with aluminum heads resides in her engine bay now.
I cruise whenever I can...in constant fear of John Law and his troops. I have had a few coppers give me admiring looks, but most stare me down, daring me to make a move for the throttle.
I have gotten more yelps, hoots, and hollers from white trash greasers in one night than from the total amount of women in my life. And to be honest....anymore it doesn't bother me. Cause I think it has to do with the parents....and women. Now I don't want to rile up any fellow lady gearheads, but MEN constantly strive to impress women. And nowaday, the best way to do it is, buy a late model pickup...put in a chip...buy a set of Flowmaster 2-chambers, and slam it! I actually had a guy in a late-model FROD pull up and rev his motor at me. In no way did he sound special. I looked over at his passenger buddy and said "You wanna run 'em?" (respectfully of course) The driver had the nuts to say "What....I wouldn't waste my gas on you!"
I can safely say I was beyond pissed. Now that was the original motor in my car at that time. One friend of mine later claimed the guy had a Lightning. BUT....the point is...I didn't know...and HE didn't know...what we had. It was completely assumption. And dollars to doughnuts, I don't care what he has now...if we line em up....he won't even see my taillights.
The bottom line is NO RESPECT! That is what is ruining this hobby by outsiders...there is little interest from punk kids to find out what a "carpetraider" is (re: carburetor). They don't want to get dirty, plain and simple. And even more the lack of respect for other human beings is what is ruining this world! People don't respect others...and they don't respect themselves!
I need an aspirin....talk to y'all later!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Oh Please, not another string bad-ragging the younger generation and import cars.

Think about this;

Due to attrition, there are less and less "popular" muscle cars available. The cost for a "rebuildable" 65 Chevelle is going through the roof! Why, because nobody can afford a 69 Camaro anymore. Chevy II's are also getting beyond reason.

I enjoy building cars, but NONE of my friends understand. They think I'm strange to like driving a 64 2 door wagon (but I'm the first person they ask for automotive advice).

How about the idea that we just keep the secret and let others drive what makes them happy. That leaves more for us!!!

(for fun, you could try to explain to a "Honda kid" why you spent good money for a "radio delete" option)

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference section
Gold Member #5

·
Registered
235 Posts
CFR,

Even though what you said made me feel real old...
I think you hit the nail on the head. With a few exceptions, young people now a days haven't had the opportunity to experience what we sometimes have taken for granted. We were lucky to experience several of the things we did when we were younger. A lot of what we did then can't ever be experienced in the same way again.

------------------
Dave Knapp
TC #388
ACES # 3474
'70 SS 396

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have referred a few of my rice buddies to this site and they are always telling me that the people must be lying on the other end in performance becuase they say no1 can get a 1/4 mile time like that and still be on the street its so called IMPOSSIBLE
. Well i always tell all of my muscle friends to goto
http://riceboypage.com

and we just laugh our ass off but the rice guys don't even know what half of this stuff is like slicks, posi, less then a 17" exhaust pipe, i can go on and on. Oh ya i am 18 and i grew up in a family that always had old cars although my parents didn't fix them because they hated fixing them but i bought my first car as a chevelle and do some myself but without hands on help i must contract out lots. Well in a week or 2 its time to prove those ricey's whos boss when i drop the new 500+hp engine in the car that will give them something to think about

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wes thanx your reply it brought to mind a funny thing that hapened to me.This guy at a Gas station challenge me to run my 454 4spd chevelle that runs 13s though mufflers and very street tires against his ford ranger 4 cylinder complete with 5 inch tail pipe extention " whats up with these tail pipe extentions?" I started to laugh very hard and young man got really pissed off and then he assumed I was scared.
Thank God your parents didnt sell Their car. When I was younger my dad would tell me about the cars he had and so would my uncle "They really had some nice cars" some 30 years later people from our town see us in stores, shows, or around town and ask what happened to those cars? Its taught me something. Never get rid of a car that you know is special when you bought it. Ive got a employee that sold "No Lie" a Yenko Camaro with a 427 in it for $700.00 in 1979 " his wife wanted to buy some new furniture" now the furniture is gone and the car is too. Every time Ive ever sold anything the next thing I know the money and the thing is gone and Im wishing I still had it. Thats why I have every special car I've ever bought. 3 Chevelles, 1 Elcamino, 1 Harley, 3 Vettes,a few Military Trucks, and 14 Antique Tractors, My wife would love for me to sell these and us go on a cruise but a week later it would all be gone and I would be telling my children what I use to have. Good LORD Willing I Hope I Never have to sell them. I keep my wife fresh Suv and that keeps her happy. Well Im rambling now so Ill go. Again thanks for your interest in this topic it s nice to know Im not alone. Man the kids in my Nieghborhood don't care about muscle cars or harleys the guys in my neighbor hoods with such were considered kings when I was young " FOR THE TIMES THEY ARE A CHANGING".

There two thing that always Brings Me peace JESUS and the rumble of a Big Block!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.