Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of chasing down an electrical short in my tailight circuit and caused some more problems. I was checking for shorts to ground so I pulled out all the bulbs and disconnected the Intermediate Rear Wiring harness from the Rear wiring harness and proceded to check everything.

Didn't find it so I put every thing back together and now i have no tail or parking lamps on the passenger side. The blinker works but the brake light does not. Did I really screw something up?

------------------
Derek TC Member #1645
68 El Camino
Free cookies to anybody that can get my gas mileage over 20.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
"I'm in the process of chasing down an electrical short in my tailight circuit and caused some more problems. I was checking for shorts to ground so I pulled out all the bulbs and disconnected the Intermediate Rear Wiring harness from the Rear wiring harness and proceded to check everything.

Didn't find it so I put every thing back together and now i have no tail or parking lamps on the passenger side. The blinker works but the brake light does not. Did I really screw something up? "

Derek,

First off let's try the "down 'n dirty" quick ground check. Turn on the tail lights by pulling out the headlight switch one notch. Now activate your emergency 4-way hazzard flashers. Go to the rear of the car and take a scrap piece of wire and touch it from a good metal ground to the metal base of the passenger side tail/brake bulb itself. If the tail filament steadily glows while the brake filament blinks on and off, you've got a ground problem assuming everything doesn't work right when you take the piece of wire away. If it doesn't do jack with the test wire, pull out the bulb and carefully take a test light or voltmeter and probe each of the little contact buttons in the bulb socket with the red probe (if it's a meter) and with the black probe, touch a good ground. You should see a steady 12 volts on one contact (the tail light circuit) and 0-12-0-12 on the brake contact as remember, you still have your tail lights on as well as your 4-way hazzards. Report back on what you find OR don't find and we'll work towards the front of the vehicle.

[This message has been edited by Coppertop (edited 10-09-2002).]

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok i got it. the contacts had come out of the bulb socket so i taped it all together and it worked fine. but now i have to figure out why i am blowing the fuse still. i can't see anything obvious in the wires in the back of the car and none of them test as a short. How can i find an intermitent short?

------------------
Derek TC Member #1645
68 El Camino
Free cookies to anybody that can get my gas mileage over 20.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Derek,

If your having to "tape things", you might want to seriously consider dissambly of the rear lighting harness and carfully look it over. You can "rebuild" it yourself to save $ and still make it reliable. Sounds like it's seen better days and starting to fall apart. For example, a good parts place carries replacemnt sockets that just splice into the park/tail/brake light wires so you're good to go with new socket. I'd recommend that than have a so-so slap-together repair.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree Joe. If I could afford it I would get a whole new rear wiring harness. I also considered rebuilding it but I have nothing else to drive while I do it. I've narrowed it to the rear wiring harness by cutting the tailight wire at the firewall and driving around with my lights on(during the day of course, don't need to get pulled over a 4th time). Didn't blow the fuse so I'm gonna run a new wire to my tail lights.

As far as the bulb socket, I'm not to worried about it because there were no loose wires just a sloppy fit. It has seen better days but these are probably some of the best its seen in the last 15 years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts