Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Again
I just got done swapping out a 72 sweep dash to a 72 gauge dash. I put in a new out of the package 72 hei, manual trans engine harness. As for the used dash harness, I found out it must have been from a 70-71 (dash harness came with the dash). I switched the wires per Elree's chart on swapping leads from a 70-71 to a 72 dash harness.(Thanks again Elree). Put juice to it last night.
I got all the exterior lights, brake, headlight,
horn, radio, hazards,interior lights, dash lights
all work. Did't check amp gauge. But turn the key, nothing.
I started to check voltages. At the horn relay, I got 14 volts with the key on or off. And at the battery side of the hei dist (pink & yellow wires)was only 14 volts when the key was only on. Next will be the dropping the steering column again to check the ignition wiring, but not knowing what to check. Need to know the next steps....
Any ideas? The car was originally had a automatic.
none of the seatbelt and door buzzer stuff is connected. There is no TCS. No clutch safety switch. :confused:

THanks in advance...
Rodney Mathewson
72 chevelle convert
454 4-speed hei
white w/black stripes

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
What do you have on the fuseblock BAT terminal? What do you have on the fuseblock IGN and ACC terminals with the key on.
Shouldn't be running the HEI from the original resistor wire.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John,
I'll check tonite, on the fuseblock.
I had the convertible top working, I believe
this hot wire plugged into the fuseblock.
Thanks
Rodney

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John
not sure as what you mean about the hei and original resistor wire.

Rodney

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Originally posted by MATHER34:
John
not sure as what you mean about the hei and original resistor wire.

Rodney
It sounds like you are using the original coil (resistor) wire to power the HEI. The HEI needs a real copper wire so that it operates properly. A lot of guys run a new wire from the IGN terminal on the fusblock or replace the resistor wire with a real copper wire.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John,
is this copper wire on the dash harness side
or the engine harness side. The new engine harness
was suppose to be for HEI.
Rodney

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Engine side. OK, if you bought a new one for HEI then you are good. Didn't think they were tieing the yellow wire up to the HEI BAT wire. It isn't needed but it doesn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
John
I do have a thin yellow wire and a heavier pink wire to the BAT on the HEI.
Rodney

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Back again, did more tests
finding out that the purple on the
"s" side of the starter solenoid
is getting no juice when the key is on.

here the picture:

item key off key ign key on
horn relay 14v 14v 14v
dist bat 0v 14v 14v
fuseblock ign 0v 14v 14v
fuseblock acc 0v 0v 14v
fuseblock batt 14v 14v 14v
solenoid batt 14v 14v 14v
soleniod R 0v 14v 14v
soleniod S 0v 0v 0v
Alt red wire 14v 14v 14v

also noticed that the radio works only when
the lights are on. :confused:
tried starting when lights were on, still nothing.

whats next?
pulling fuseblock apart to check pinouts?

Thanks
Rodney

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Solenoid "S" should have 12 volts when the key is turned to START. It will not have 12 volts when the key is ON.
Check the yellow wire on the radio with the key turned to ON or ACC. It should have power in both those positions while the radio gray wire wire should only have power when the lights are on.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
If you don't have a clutch safety switch what did you do with the wires that would have connected to it? Should be a purple and purple/white wires that need to be jumpered together when not using a safety switch.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Guys for your assistance.
Last nite I ran down the the purple wire (from the starter solenoid) back thru the engine harness, firewall, dash harness, and to the neutral safety switch. This car was an automatic, still had the steering column NSS, checked that. bypassed the switch with a jumper wire. now she starts....must have been a bad switch.
ps. got the radio wired correctly. ran a hot lead to the fuse block, disconnected the grey lead(lights) from the harness, left the yellow connected.

Thanks again
Rodney Mathewson

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.