Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everybody seems to agree that the no-hop traction bars (the ones that raise the upper control arm mount) are the way to go. I was hoping that someone more knowledgeable than me could explain why these are so good and how they actually eliminate wheelhop. Also, why does almost no one use the old slapper style traction bars anymore?

·
Registered
1 Posts
SS, it has to do with location of the instant center of the car(the intersection of imaginary lines drawn extending forward from the control arms)As you raise the rear of the upper bar, you move the instant center rearward, trying to lift the entire car more so than just the front end. Basically this is the principal of a four link suspension used on race cars, it controls the hit on the tires.

G

·
Talk of instant centers & such gives me a headache... I wondered how they work as well, so what I came up with in my own mind is this...a vast oversimplification of how they actually work, probably, but it works for me: In the stock configuration, the upper control arms are at an upward angle from the diff to the chassis. When power is applied, the differential naturally tries to rotate in the opposite direction of wheel rotation--thereby pulling on the upper control arms. If the arms are at an upward angle, the rearend is actually trying to pull the body of the car down, but that's not what happens. Since the car frame/body have much more mass than the rear axle, it's the axle itself that gets lifted, or unloaded, causing wheelhop. In the opposite scenario, with No-Hop bars installed, the upper control arm mounting points are now higher on the axle, and should have a somewhat downward angle in their connection to the chassis. Now when you hammer it, the rotation of the rear axle tries to lift the car body, the weight of which is transferred to the tires, planting them more firmly on the ground.

I'm sure it's not as simple as all this, but it helps to visualize what's going on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
NO HOP bars do not work well in high H.P and torque applications.Wth big blocks it tends to lift the rear of the car substantially(higher than the front)as larry explained,during pinion movement

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just wanted to say thanks for the responses. Now I can actually visualize how they work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts