Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, have 69 SS396 375 4sp 410 posi, I looking for better traction and was wondering which is best to use. Thanks.

------------------
BILL

·
Registered
341 Posts
My 69SS still had a severe wheelhop problem even after the addition of nohop bars and air bags. I would recommend Southside Machine lift bars, you can even bolt up a factory rear sway bar to their set up and the moving parts have grease fittings.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I had a 69 SS w/375 HP and it had a nasty wheel hop. It was so bad that I thought the dash was going to fall out. The rear tires were Eagle ST's that were well used when I bought the car. When I decided to sell the car the last touch it needed was new tires for the rear. When I initially bought the car it has SS rims that were 9"s wide (I've never seen those since). I replaced the rear tires with new 9" Eagle ST's. The wheel hop was completely gone. The car did not have traction bars, a sway bar or air bags. New tires solved the problem completely.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Just to muddy the waters, I am well pleased with the hopstop bars and adjustable upper/boxed lower combination. I bouth air bags just in case but didn't need them.
Dan

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 69 SS w/ 400+hp and SSM lift bars and air bags and have great traction even before the bags. I'd recommend them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 72 W/ posi, and am having the same problem. I just replaced the tires and wheels last fall, so I know that's not the problem. I'm running Dunlop Qualifiers on Corvette Ralley wheels. It hops so bad that it shakes the grills out of the rear speakers!

What are air bags anyway? (please ignore the ignorance, I have a guess, but want to be sure)

[This message has been edited by Doug's 72 (edited 05-23-99).]

·
Registered
114 Posts
Your thinking on the air bags is probably right. They are just what they seem, you inflate one, usually the right rear side, to keep the side with the air bag from compressing as much on launch. Really helpful for keeping the car more even and getting straighter launches. At the very least on a posi rear, it keeps equal traction on both sides when setup right, if that's a problem.
In any case, to fix your problem I wouldn't start with air bags first to correct the tire hop. The ideas listed above are a very good starting point.

Tony

[This message has been edited by Ox68 (edited 05-23-99).]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Go with the SSM lift bars man. I just added a set of them to my chevelle, and I like them. They not only improved the traction but they also improved the handeling of the car not too many things can say that. I saw a guy this weekend at Famoso in a 69 with a 454, and he was pulling the tires about 3 feet off the ground with SSM lift bars, Moroso springs, (front and back) and good shocks (typical drag shocks , nothing special) and 10.5/30 inch slick. An amazingly basic set up and awesome results, can't beat that.

------------------
RYAN REEVES
[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
1,931 Posts
I am very happy with my No-Hop bars. The only problem was that the fill plug for the rear was made inaccessible and I had to by a Moroso rear cover with a fill plug. My wheel hop was totally cured and traction was improved. I know the south side lift bars work in a similar fashion, I just did not want them hanging down.

G

·
I bought a set of the Art Morrison rear control arms. I don't have the car running yet, but I've heard they work great. Some 9 second cars are running in Real Street with them and 10.5" tires! I'll let you know how they work.

Ryan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.