Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm absolutly clueless about why my headlights or any other electic item in my car is not working. I'll run through how I hooked it up and maybe you'll be able to spot where I may have messed up. I put the battery in the trunk, grounded the negative cable, put a ground on the body to the neg. cable, and ran the pos. cable to the starter solonoid. As far as up front, I have a wire from the harness going to the positive post on the alternator, the alt. is also grounded to the body with the little alt. plug in connected. I have a purple wire from the harness going to the inside post on the starter solonoid, with the yellow wire from the harness going to the outside solonoid post. Shouldn't this be all that is needed to atleast get the head and tail lights working? I put a test light on the starter solonoid where the pos. cable goes and it lights up. I put the test light on the pos. alternator post and nothing..... Any clues to this baffling dilema? Any advice is much appriciated!!!

------------------
'70 Malibu
355 L-31 Vortec
Muncie M-20 (2.56 1st)
8.2'' 10-Bolt 2.73:1 Open

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car has plastic inner fenderwells and the passenger side is cracked and chipped and I needed a good strong foundation to mount the battery. Can you describe what the terminal on the core support is? Is it the small electric regulator looking thing on the driver side next to the voltage regulator? Thanks...

------------------
'70 Malibu
355 L-31 Vortec
Muncie M-20 (2.56 1st)

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Don't know if Dean's around. What he his talking about is a small plastic junction block, on the right hand side, of the core support. Originally a wire from the battery went there. From there a wire ran over to the horn relay and the alternator output.
What Dean saw was the alternator output is not tied to the battery. In your case the alternator output or this junction block needs to tie to the starter. This is the same thing as tying to battery.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks John, you hit the nail right on the head! You and Dean explained it really good and everything is working now.... Thanks again I'm in your debt!

------------------
'70 Malibu
355 L-31 Vortec
Muncie M-20 (2.56 1st)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts