Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hagerty doesn't give you insurance unless you have a garage. It's there company, ... but doesn't solve my problem for my 65 Chevelle.
Does anyone know of a company that doesn't have this requirement,???

The car is going from my mechanic to the painters this week and the front clip is off and a beautiful 0 mile engine and all, is sitting right there in the open.

Hopefully the painter has insurance to cover the car from theft of parts as well as whole car??

What to do about insurance...
Does the car have to be completed before I can get insurance or an appraisal??

Need insurance quick..
Thanks, Jack

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
i had a stated value polisy on my 70 before i heard about hagerty...regular use policy but it was pricey...3 times the cost of hagertys at about 900 fo 35k stated value..policy was thru Progressive...the local guy didnt even know he could write it till i pressed him to inquire...they are big in fla but i dont know about other areas

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TH, thanks that may point me in the right direction.

70SS, Progressive Insurance, I thought they were for high risk drivers, I'll give them a shot. If the're here SoCal.

I rather pay a little more now, then suffer a major set back with no insurance..

Thanks, Jack

·
Registered
826 Posts
To get info in your hands quicker, here's the short of it:

Amercian Collectors Insurance; Cherry Hill,NJ
Condon & Skelly; Maple Shade,NJ
The Grundy Agency; Glenside,PA
J.C. Taylor Insurance; Upper Darby,PA
Parish Insurance; Nashville,TN
and Hagerty, of course

You wanna know more? Send me some email. It's a three page article with three sidebars in addition to the regular text (and a very nice little pic of a '67 Chevelle!).

------------------
Tom H.
Member #259
Indianapolis,IN www.iquest.net/~bharold/chevelle/

G

·
Amercian Collectors Insurance requires that you have a garage as well, that is the company that I have for the two chevelles. Very cheap, but lots of restrictions.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Are most of you guys running regular or collector insurance? I know that collector is cheaper, but with all the clauses my nightmare would be someone hitting me and then the company not covering because I wasnt driving to work or the car had headers when it was supposed to be stock. I only get to put a couple thousand miles a year on them, but I like to use them to drive around, not just "parade use" ..what are you guys doing?

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Registered
425 Posts
The type of insurance you need depends on what you use your car for.

Insurance companies are in the "risk management business". You can take short cuts to keep your rates down but if you lie about it they don't legally have to pay up.

Even on new(er) cars your rates vary based on how the car is used, the number of mile you drive to work, the age of the drivers, alarm systems, garaged etc etc.

Companies like Haggerty can offer us good rates on our classics because of the care given to a "non daily driver" classic.

Call your current insurance company/agent and ask them for advice. If the car is off the road you should only need Comp for the "stated value" coverage for what the car is currently worth, then as you continue the restoration increase the "stated value". You should be able to get multicar discounts from your current agent also.
Caution: Do your homework. Understand the difference between "stated value" and "agreed to value" or even no stated or agreed value.
Do a search of this site for : Insurance, Stated value, Agreed value and you will find some good valueable information.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think AAA may insure my car without the garage, at least they said they would.
They are sending me a packet with all the info.
The guy said that there would be no mileage restrictions, and I could get the stated value insurance.
On $12,000 he said it would be about $500.00 a year for full coverage..
I don't have anything until we make the deal though.

Chev-hell, I'll give Geico a call tommorow, thanks.

Bill, my insurance company wouldn't cover theft even when it's being built. Seems no one wants to insure it until its complete, appraised, and pictures taken.

Appraisals, that's a question in itself.
How to find the appraiser that knows about the value of Chevelles vs rice burners.

I'll keep ya posted if I get anything going with these insurance companys.
Thanks,
Jack

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
the minute i mentioned classic car stated value , geico wasnt interested....my regualr car ins is with USAA who also wasnt interested...any of them will give you a ACV (actual cash value ) policy but how do you know what you will get if you crack her up??? some crazy value out of some book????
USAA also provides collector car ins thru american collectors but very severe restrictions on use and 2500 mile limit per year...you cant even park it in a store lot to run in for a few minutes, etc etc ad nauseaum.....so i then went to progressive...stated value regular use but pricey...then i called hagerty...on my application i wrote "general use " and got coverage with no problem...so i dont really know of any restrictions with hagerty other than you must own at least one other car...if you own multiple colectible cars hagery will cove them for one premium..or so i was told...they issued me a 35k agrred valu policy which they say is better than staed value because if i total it i get a check for 35k whereas the stated value may not be the same as the value at a later point in time when it gets totalled

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
so with hagerty you can drive your car as normal? sounds good, I tried to get them on the web but couldnt get a connection. Anyone got a working link??

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Registered
117 Posts
Try the following for Hagerty, they are hard to beat for price, coverage and being able to enjoy your car.

http://www.hagerty.com/

------------------
Bob Murray 66 Malibu
Greenfield, Indiana (Indianapolis)
TC Gold #49
Aces #01941
NCOA #20838

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
thanks bob,Ill see what they can do for me.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Registered
147 Posts
Jack & Company,
I called Hagerty (1 800 922 4050) in reference to using my 70 Elky as a daily or regular use vehicle. They will not insure it. Only classic or antique's with the limited use clause. I have their policy on my 70 Chevelle SSC,($89.00 for $9000. agreed value) but the sales rep couldn't even offer another company who would cover it for regular use.
Progressive Ins. would for $3500. per year. Not likely for a car I paid $4500. for. Does anyone have another company to offer.

Thanks,

Mike H.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Is the limited use clause the usual "2500 miles max, cant use the car for work, errands, etc.etc." If so I wont bother calling them. I usually have my cars on a normal insurance polocy with state farm, but they arent the primary use vehicle. I dont think they will insure an old car as your only car for any reasonable money. with this deal I only run liability and if I wreck the car I have to eat it. Not good, but I dont want a classic polocy and then cant drive the car legally, what good is that?

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
call hagerty and ask for drake
i told him i was going to use the car for general use (i didnt know the term "regular use" at the time...he asked me if i owned another car ...when i said yes he said " that's fine then"...

so i surmised that their criteria was that you at least owned another car...they never asked me another questionabout use and in fact i told them that i already had the progressive policy which had no restrictions and that i only wanted to change if their policy would not restrict my use...

they issued the policy after i filled out "general use " on the application...the oly other question they asked was about the value...i told them i needed 35k coverage..they asked for the engine number which they couldnt cross reference so they sid that the ID letters we most similar to an LS6 which would justify the 35k value...that was all they asked...

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.