Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not getting any fuel to the carb. I originally thought it was the fuel pump. I put a new pump (Holley 12-454 - competition mechanical) on the car. It ran for about 10 minutes then it shut off. I can't imagine I have two bad pumps. The first was about 8 months old, but only had about 1k miles on it. I have a Harwood cell w/foam and a Mallory 140gph filter (10 micron). The only thing I can think of is the filter is clogged from the foam, but It is also new with only about 2k miles on it. Could it be blocked so bad that I don't get any (0) pressure? I removed the line out of the pump and nothing comes out. I have a separate line feeding a nitrous system with a Holley Blue pump. Can I hook that line to the mechanical pump to test it and have it pull through the Blue pump without turning on the pump? I want to make sure the mechanical pump works, so I have to leave the Blue pump turned off. If this works then I guess it is the filter. Also, it has new fuel lines (about 2k miles on them). Both lines have a regulator. Any other suggestions, or do you think it is the filter also?

[This message has been edited by Rob H (edited 02-01-99).]

·
Registered
4 Posts
one thing i have seen happen is the fuel pump lobe on the cameshafts sometimes go out. pull your pump and cover, then spin the motor holding finger pressure against the pump rod to make sure it is moving back and forth. it should move about a 1/2 inch to give enough pump action.

also you can run your holley blue pump into the carb but pay close attention to see if the carb overflows. these pumps have about 6psi. i had to put a regulator on mine to make it consistant. without the regulator it was real sensitive to overflowing.

will, n.b. tx.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Ive seen the wrong lever(pump) and rod destroy a mechanical pump. I dont know specifics on the wrong combo but as i recall its a Big block pump wont work with the small block pump rod. Or some one gave you the wrong pump.Yes your filter could be clogged. Check it before you proceed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.