Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many years of saving me allowance my wife gives me I was finally able to scrape together enough to purchase a 1970 Chevelle SS Clone. The former owner did a great job. The car started its life as a green Malibu and is now a beautiful red want to be SS with everything swapped over.

I took the car out for the first time at night last month and noticed that the only dash lights I have are temp and oil pressure, maybe only one I can’t tell. The Gen light, speedometer, clock, turn signal, and emergency flasher do not illuminate.

I have seen the articles regarding swapping from idiot lights to gauges and all the wiring modifications that have to take place.

I was wondering if this would be applicable to my situation. The old Malibu dash with the sweep speedometer and idiot lights was replaced with an SS dash with round spedo, clock, and idiot lights, no gauges.

Do you think I have a wiring issue, a bad printed circuit board, or possibly all the dash light bulbs are blown. I’ve been having too much fun cruising around in the car to take time and start trouble shooting but it’s finally time to get some light on the subject.

Any suggestions on where to start?

Thanks
Brad Howard
1970 Chevelle
BB 402

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Since the lights that don't illuminate are on different circuits, may have lost a ground back there. The exception is the gen light. It doesn't get a ground from the dash. Might want to check the bulbs first and see if the are not blown and seated properly before you look a little further.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John:
Thanks for the ideas, I am going to grawl up under the dash tomorrow and see what I can come uo with.

Thanks
Brad Howard
1970 Chevelle BB402

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I do a lot of 70-72 SS gauge restorations and many times the connection between the bulb and socket are bad, sometimes all you have to do is pull the bulb in/out several times, this cleans residue off the bulb wires. Or just replace all the bulbs, they are not that expensive. If I was you I would rig up a test circuit and make sure they work before reinstalling. Haven't seen any bad circuit boards as far as ligths go, just the amp circuit or grounds. Just for kicks I would run my own ground wire from the metal gauge housing to the metal dash frame.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Originally posted by Steve S:
I do a lot of 70-72 SS gauge restorations and many times the connection between the bulb and socket are bad, sometimes all you have to do is pull the bulb in/out several times, this cleans residue off the bulb wires. Or just replace all the bulbs, they are not that expensive. If I was you I would rig up a test circuit and make sure they work before reinstalling. Haven't seen any bad circuit boards as far as ligths go, just the amp circuit or grounds. Just for kicks I would run my own ground wire from the metal gauge housing to the metal dash frame.
I just got my SS gauge cluster back from Steve S and I will vouch for his abilities and know how. My cluster looks like factory new and all is repaired down to the last light and even the clock, like new. Thanks Steve....awesome job

1 - 5 of 5 Posts