Chevelles.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 chevelle that I am having a terrible time trying to find why my brake lights or turn signals are not working.Ihave replaced the flasher, the brake light switch has power,the tail lights are working and the fuse is good.I did have the dash pulled down while being painted and changing the steerin column so I don't know if there is somthing I could have disconnected there or not.Also my turn signals aren,t working but I haven,t spent too much time tracing that problem yet .If any of you can assist me in this problem I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks,SUNK99

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
It's very likely that the two problems are caused by the signal switch. As you probably know the rear lights have two filimants. One is for the tail lights the other is for the brake and signal. The brake light power travels from the brake light switch to the signal switch then along two separate wires to the rear lights. When the signal switch is moved to either turn signal the associated brake light circuit is opened and the signal circuit connects.

At the column harness connection, with the brakes applied, check for power on the white wire, it comes from the brake light switch. If ok, check for power on both the yellow and green wires. Yellow goes to he left brake/signal light, green goes to the right.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts