Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question pertains to a 70 Nova, but I assume the wiring is similar to a chevelle.

I noticed lately that my turn signals were very slow, and today when i turned the left signal on, the indicator light came on in the dash, but the signals werent flashing... i got out of the car to note that the front signal light was on but not flashing, and the rear one was not on at all. I got a new flasher, installed it, and instantly the blinker indicator in the dash showed it was now working again... problem solved right? Not quite... The front signal is working fine and flashing as it should, but the rear is not lighting at all for the signal OR the brake light... this is JUST the drivers side, the pass. side works fine. I changed the bulb, cleaned the socket, checked the ground wire, but it seems I'm getting no power to that rear light. Oddly, when i turn the headlights on, the tail lamp still works on that side, just not the brake/turn signal... any idea where the problem could be?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, 1157 bulb, have put 3 new ones in, as well as swapped the left to right, so i know its not the bulb... there are only 2 wires going to the light, i would assume the yellow is power and the black is ground... the tailight portion of this same bulb works, but not the brakes or signals... i'm at my wits end!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The wires to the 1157 are the taillight and the turn signal power wires. The shell of the socket is the ground. Check that it is grounded.

Peter

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what i noticed from looking at the other side ligh (the side that works) is that the turnsignal/brake light will work if the socket is unplugged from the back of the taillight housing, but the tail lamp will only illuminate one the socket is pushed into the housing... the drivers side does the same thing, except the turnsignal/brake lights will not work regardless of it the socket is pushed into the housing or not... like there is no power getting to the socket for turnsignal/brake... but how is power getting there for the tail lamp? wouldnt power be coming from the same wires?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The turn signal/brake light wires are green on one side and yellow on the other.
The wire you are calling black is probably brown. This is the tail light wire for both sides.
There is no ground wire. The socket gets its ground from the frame.
Check to see if there is 12 volts to each wire in both sockets to a clean spot on the frame.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts