Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please tell me what the wiring harness for the back up lights looks like and is the switch supposed to be on the 4sp?

Where does the back up harness plug go? Does it plug into the engine harness or the dash harness ?

The guy before me had the body off the frame to restore the engine and 4sp and frame but didn't put alot of the wiring harnesses back. He has some new ones in boxes and some old ones also.

The car is a 69 chevelle with a muncie 4sp with a hurst shifter.

I looked on the 4sp and didn't see any switch or any wires.Where does the switch go on the transmission and what does it look like? Does it have a bracket also?

Thanks for any help to all
Jerry
P.S. If I end up haveing to buy a swich and harness who would have it? I sort of looked in the yearone catalog and it only had the switch and harness for 1968.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
On my 66 there is a plug that mounts in the firewall from under the dash that goes to the backup lights.
the wires are light green and dark green, the switch from the four speed has a harness that goes to the plug in the firewall if you find this plug under the dash, you should be able to jumper the connections in the plug and backup lights should come on. I would bet the wires are different colors on a 69. also the switch has a bracket the mounts to the Muncie, I would think that any switch for a Muncie would work, no matter what year
hope this might point you in the right direction.

Rocky Hill

------------------
A Man And His Chevelle!
It's A Beautiful Thing.

My66SS

[This message has been edited by rocks66ss (edited 07-02-2002).]

[This message has been edited by rocks66ss (edited 07-02-2002).]

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
On 69s and later the backup light switch is mounted on the steering column. On top of the column just inside the fire wall. The reverse linkage has a long link that attaches to the steering column. When the trans is put in reverse the link twists the steering column that operates the backup light switch. This linkage also made it necessary to have the trans in reverse before the steering column could be locked and the key removed, thus locking the trans in reverse. My guess is that the linkage on your car has been removed and the backup light switch has been disconnected so that the lights don’t stay on all the time.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Jerry

Yes the 3 speed w/floor shift or 4 speed had/has linkage that connects from the reverse linkage to the steering column. The backup light switch is no the column. Ground up sells a kit (Reverse lockout kit NT-390 $79.95), a swivel mechanism and two rods. What I don’t know fore sure is if the floor shift column was different for the man and auto trans. What I mean is I don’t know if you can use a floor shift column from an auto trans car or if it needs to be a floor shift column from a manual trans car. If your car came with the 4 speed this is not a concern. With the linkage connected and the switch in place you will connect the wiring connector (pink and lt green wires) to the switch. The switch may need to be adjusted.

You can get the 64 – 68 reverse lamp kit (REVSKIT-1 $99.00) It can be installed on your 69. You would need to drill a hole in the fire wall for the wiring. Someone with a 68 assembly manual can tell you the size and location. This would give you backup lights without the reverse lockout linkage and the hassle of putting the trans in reverse to get the key out. You will also need a special reverse lever for the trans that is not included in the kit. You could easily weld a piece to your existing lever to accommodate the switch linkage.

------------------
TC member 368
My ElCamino 1
My ElCamino 2
My ElCamino 3

[This message has been edited by Elree Colby (edited 07-02-2002).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts