Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running my E street for about 3k miles now, and it looks like its holding up well now. I know Edelbrock says it doesn't support nitrous with it's E street system, however, there are guys that run it anyway. I can manually adjust the amount of fuel given for WOT in percentages, so I figured this would be the best way to adjust the fuel amount for running nitrous. I'm aware that I would retard the timing, and change to colder spark plugs with a tighter gap.

I'm thinking the fuel issue would be the biggest limiting factor, however I think running a wet setup could aid with this issue as well. Don't change any of the EFI's fueling, but just let the solenoids at fuel for the appropriate horsepower shot.

I'm thinking about running anywhere from a 50-150 shot.

Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Not sure.. if you're using a wet shot base plate system, I think that might really piss off the wideband?
In my head anyway... it's going to sense a rich condition when the solenoid opens then lean out the carb a ton. After the solenoid closes, unless the computer can catch up fast enough your're going to run into a lean cylinder condition. Something you absolutely don't want during or after a nitrous shot.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure.. if you're ruining a wet shot base plate system, I think that might really piss off the wideband?
In my head anyway... it's going to sense a rich condition when the solenoid opens then lean out the carb a ton. After the solenoid closes, unless the computer can catch up fast enough your're going to run into a lean cylinder condition. Something you absolutely don't want during or after a nitrous shot.
Yikes! Yep don't want that. What about a dry setup?

·
Premium Member
2000 Trans Am WS6
5,057 Posts
Yikes! Yep don't want that. What about a dry setup?
Like said, with a wet system, you'd probably have 2 systems in disagreement over the AFR....one trying to richen it up, and one trying to compensate.

Now if you made a nitrous happy, commanded AFR setting, and used a dry system, it just may work....of course with the other changes you mentioned.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
if you made a nitrous happy, commanded AFR setting
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but if you did that you'd be running rich the entire time you are not shooting the juice. :)

I know Edelbrock says it doesn't support nitrous with it's E street system, however, there are guys that run it anyway.
It would be best to get with one of them and find out exactly what they are doing, I'm just guessing. :yes:

·
Premium Member
2000 Trans Am WS6
5,057 Posts
Nope. Reading it right. If he doesn't have any EFI controlled ability to tune for the nitrous, he'll have no choice but to reflash it when he wants to spray it. Or....like you a said, be running very rich all the time

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope. Reading it right. If he doesn't have any EFI controlled ability to tune for the nitrous, he'll have no choice but to reflash it when he wants to spray it. Or....like you a said, be running very rich all the time

Yeah, I could customize my settings for the nitrous and switch maps when I want to run it. I could just add fuel for WOT when I would be using it. The question is, how much more fuel is needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Or you could make it easy and go back to this.... ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2000 Trans Am WS6
5,057 Posts
Yeah, I could customize my settings for the nitrous and switch maps when I want to run it. I could just add fuel for WOT when I would be using it. The question is, how much more fuel is needed?

When I was considering it, Doug F, from Holley, suggested starting off at 11.8:1.

Not sure how your efi programming works...would you need to make a new VE table, or can you simply command a specific AFR?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I could command a specific AFR, or I can add a pump shot to WOT, for example 10% more fuel in WOT

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another thought. I could swap a carb pretty easy when I would want to run nitrous at the track... tempting...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts