Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NGK BKR5 EIX

Anyone ever use this in a big block before with Eddy Alum heads? I have been running Autolites 3926 / Ar3924 .

NGK posts this to be a little cooler plug comparable to the AR3924

Looking for something a little more sparky

Thanks
SK

·
Registered
208 Posts
SK- while I can't comment directly on your question of BB compatability, etc., I CAN tell you that the NGK Iridiums were the only plugs I could run in my supercharged dragbike. They out performed and out lasted everything I had tried, just were alittle pricey, but worth it IMHO.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,318 Posts
Please refrain from posting the same topic in different sections. Your other one has no replies, will be deleted.

Incidentally, my experience is the opposite of Davids. I only use Pts in EFI engines that have never burned a drop of oil. Otherwise, foul city.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
You actually want the hottest, not the coldest, spark plug that the engine will run with without causing pre-ignition. Plugs that are too cold will not burn off deposits at lower rpms & misfire because of this at higher rpms.

Plat & Irid plugs. There are a couple of benefits. There is a phenomenon in electrical theory called quench [ not related to combustion chamber quench ]; when a spark is generated, the surrounding metal, which is cooler, tries to quench or extinguish the spark. By reducing the metal volume, there is less chance of the spark being extinguished & so misfires are reduced. Hence, the use of fine wire Plat & Irid electrodes. These very hard metals are reqd to reduce plug tip erosion & give long plug life. An extra benefit is that less arc over voltage is reqd, so the plugs will still fire as they get old & plug gap increases.
For performance use, the benefit is being able to use a bigger plug gap for the same voltage.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay thanks, I ordered a set to try out. The El Camino 427 was a little lean and wanted to try something one stage colder.

SK

·
Registered
312 Posts
Okay thanks, I ordered a set to try out. The El Camino 427 was a little lean and wanted to try something one stage colder.

SK
If it's lean, doesn't it possibly need more fuel?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I would not use a Spark Plug that costs $ 6.99us to $ 9.99us each
NGK Spark Plugs BKR5EIX-11: Iridium IX Spark Plug 14mm x 3/4" Reach | JEGS

as that would be $ 60.00us to $ 100.00us every time I wanted to change them
to help with a Lean problem that could be fixed much cheaper by adjusting the Fuel/Air Mixture

Here is what I use in my car's HEADS - Edelbrock Perf RPM Alum # 6045 / 60455 Edelbrock 60455: Performer RPM 454-O Oval Port Aluminum Cylinder Head | JEGS
Champion RC12Y: Champion Spark Plugs 49776: RC12YC Race Plug 1/pkg | JEGS $ 1.99us

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,318 Posts
fiddling with the spark plugs will never change the F/A ratio. if it's lean it's lean, that a carburetor fix thing.

Reactions: Kirk's67SS

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
$7-$10 for an NGK Iridium plug? You guys in the USA don't know how lucky you are. They are $32 each here. When I try & buy NGKs from Summit, NGK has an agreement with Summit not to sell out to outside the USA. So that ensures that NGK can rip us off in Australia. Did I hear the word 'free trade'....

Autolite's are cheaper, only $15 ea....

5 L [ 1.3 US gal ] of syn engine oil, $75-80 here.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Speaking only to my experience, I used NGK Iridium plugs in my supercharged SBC @ 10lbs boost and the engine never missed a beat while the engine lasted. Excellent quality plugs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts