Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey I just installed a aftermarket radio system in my chevelle im running 1 600watt amp a sony 208watt head unit and my alternator just cant keep up when I travel about 5 blocks with the radio up and come back home cut the car off and try to crank it back up the battery is dead. will a newer alternator off of a 83 montecarlo work? does it have more amps? also how many amps is the alternator on a 71 chevelle rated at I know that I will have to modify the harness just want to know will it help me out any?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Try reading through the attached link. It may give you an idea of what to do. Off the top of my head I can’t answer the 83 M/C alternator question. One thing: More than one alternator was used in that car. In the 83/84/85 MC/Regal/Cutlass 3.8 with A/C used a 94 amp alternator when it came from the factory. Can’t see what you have and it may have been changed. I can’t see how that is clocked. Might work/might not.
http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/delcoremy.shtml

·
Registered
454 Posts
71'
Stock 37amp and 63amp W/air cond. yes that monte alt.will work the one I use now is from a 84 monte,the one with the plastic fan.
John
It is clocked right and 95amps good!I couldn't remember what is was I thought it was 70 or something.

-Kid

1 - 3 of 3 Posts