Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my buddy has been trying to get me to quit messing with these expensive Buicks for years and instead try an old Chevy at least once in my life.

He finally eliminated my excuses by GIVING me a 66 Chevelle Malibu a few months ago.

Okay, before you get too hacked off at my luck it is a 4 door with a 6 banger in it but does have a 3 on the tree manual, and is an all original unmolested, one owner,original paint car (white on bright blue interior).

Believe it has the little sewing machine engine 194 engine in it with a whopping 1 barrel carb but after having guzziling 455's killing me on fuel it is kind of a fun thought to see how good of gas mileage I can get with this thing and I alway love shifting gears even if it is a lawnmower!

Just thought I'd tell all of you what I had in case you had any good recommendations on good part suppliers or cheap modifications I should make.

First thing I am going to need is another carb,fuel pump and GAS TANK (talk about a STINKER, I can smell that old fuel from 100 yards away!:clonk:)

Wish I could post some pics but looks like that isn't going to happen unless I join or a member would like to help out.

Going to need two rear doors also as the orignal owner caved them in before they yanked her drivers license.One opens but I cannot figure out how to even get the drivers side rear open even after pulling the rear seat,door panel etc.

Put a set of 1960 Torque Thrust D one peice magnesium mags (yep, one's banned in the 60's) with knock of centers on it and that perked up the looks, and my little girl and I wet sanded a bunch of the light rust on the paint so it is looking pretty darn decent.

Only has 80 something thousand original miles on it and the motor turns and will run if I load the carb up manually with fuel.

Anyhow, just kind of excited to be trying something different and thought I'd ask for any help folks might want to offer.If I can help on any Buick questions (GS's etc) be glad to return the favor.Just don't offer to trade me any Buick stuff for the four door because I'm still a little weak on that resistance:D

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
Welcome Fritz, And congrats on the sweet "gift".

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Welcome to Chevelle City! Your grandma car sounds cool. The days are numbered when we'll be able to find ANY cars like that.

It will be neat to see how 'ancient' 60's economy tech can save you money at the pump today!

Your description reminded me of a custom car I saw at the Turkey Rod Run years ago. It was a white 67 4 door El Camino. Must have been a 4 door wagon with El Camino quarter panels grafted on. It was very nicely done, but.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Scott:thumbsup:

Yep Jimmy, your comment about how rare cars like this are getting to be is what caused this one to now be sitting in front of my barn.

My friend was going to use it for parts to restore his 66 Chevelle Malibu factory 4 speed convertible.

He and I were both sitting there one day looking at the mint front clip on the 4 door and then the unmolested wiring harness,low miles, factory radio,unbelievably original and mint trunk area,chrome bumpers that immediately went bright again with the slightest rub, and I was shaking my head saying what a shame it was that it had to end up being a parts car.

Then I mentioned if I had one like this,I'd let my son drive it in a couple years when he was 16 (and make him work on it with Dad:thumbsup: ).

Joe was so happy to hear that he had an excuse to save the old car he immediately turned over the original Briggs and Stratton keys:beers:

He has been trying to talk me into buying his new 330 horse crate engine (he wants to go Big Block now) and Muncie 4 speed to sneak into it, but I kind of hate to screw something this original all up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Brent, I tried that but couldn't figure it out unfortuantely.

My only chance is to send the pics to a member if someone would want to go to the trouble of loading them in here.

I'm just not real good on the computers:wacko:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cecil,

Thanks for the link. Guess I need to get some numbers to refer to on that carb.

I appreciate you telling me about the one on ebay though. Might be a dumb question but can the carb for a automatic car like this one be made to work alright on my 3 speed manual car?

Yep, I want this thing to run as quiet as a sewing machine and the car to be ultra clean. I should have a good chance of of all the factory chalk markings being legible too. Would love to have it look like a little time machine:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Eh sorry about that Fritz I should read better, I'd like to know the answer to that one myself. There's no vacuum secondary, so maybe a connection for the detent rod, but that's just a guess.

Anyway, welcome, glad you and your sewing machine are here.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
449 Posts
Wow, what a fresh post!! I would restore the old girl to original. No matter what you do, it will always be a four door. Like you said, get it running like a sewing machine that is good on gas and enjoy. Your Buick looks excellant!

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
No need to replace the carb or tank. The tank can be taken care of by any radiator shop. Should be able to find a rebuild kit for the carb, and a new fuel pump.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the kind words on the cars.

Yeh, I usually avoid 4 doors like the plague but since I might let one of my sons drive it eventually that makes me feel better.

Lot's of metal around them,still classic styling but hopefully not something they'd embarrass or hurt themselves in trying to race, good gas mileage, and friends can get in and out easier than a 2 door.

Sounds like a good plan but I imagine they'll end up just like I was with our 6 banger 3 speed truck I learned to drive on . I would dump the clutch in that truck and immediately stand on the brake with one foot, while the other foot was pushing the gas pedal through the firewall.Big BIG burnouts and then I could leave rubber about 8 ft in second gear, and bark third hard.

Wellllllllllllllllll at least until I tore out the transmission AND rearend one day going up a hill in front of my buddies and some good looking girls watching everyone show off.

Yeh, that was fun explaining to my Dad.Here is his truck fluid running down the hill, locked up in the middle of a side street with rubber leading all the way to where it was completely locked up (BELIEVE me the guys and I tried to move it from the evidence with no luck,so everyone left for our little "reunion").

Dad had a HELL of a temper on the smallest things but was allot better on the "bad one's". I started to plurt out an excuse and he just held his hand up looked me in the eye and said "You are going to pay for every penny to repair this" (and I did).

Truck never did run as fast (not that I did any other stunts like that in it but we must have gotten a dog for a rearend gear at the bone yard, because the torque was gone).

Worst thing though was the transmission linkage would hang up in it fairly often and whenever it happened (like the day I was flirting with two girls beside us one day at an intersection who were waving at me) Yep, my Dad was laughing about it until he realized the linkage was hung again and I heard the familar sound of the hood being popped and "Get out and fix it, too bad if it is embarrassing!" Right in the middle of the intersection with the girls right there laughing at me.Definitely made an inmpression on me at 16 not to screw up some one elses belongings!

·
Premium Member
8,123 Posts
Cool Buick ......but now you have 66 Chevelle and your in NC you have the best Chevelle resto parts guy there is right there .......James Hinshaw " Hinshaws" he is NC he has 66"s knows chevelles ...google Hinshaws Chevelle .not a fancy site but it's a family biz no better chevelle guy

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dwight,

You got it man, when ever I drive the car to pick up the kids at school the other kids flock around it "Is that the Bat Mobile mister?!!!!":p

I put an Ah Oogah horn on her too just to further catch them off guard.

Always liked the 1960 Impala's but wanted it to be a Buick if I could find anything close to my favorite Chevy version and one day there she was.

CDN SS:

Thanks for the tip on Hinshaws Chevelle ,going to check that out tonight as soon as I have a couple cool one's:beers:

Thanks for the suggestion :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts