Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've been lurking for a week or so and thought I'd say hello. I'm about to start a search for an LS6 car and would like some advice as to what distinct features this car has over other SS models. It's been almost 20 years since I've owned a Chevelle (I've owned 12 in the past) and although I am quite familiar with the numbers game (Camaros and Corvettes in particular), I know little about LS6 Chevelles. I would really appreciate any help anyone can offer as I am going to look at a local car this weekend.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome to Team Chevelle Mkane.

This is the place to come for advice on Chevelles. If you are familiar with the numbers game then your most of the way there. The only advice I can offer on an LS6 is be careful because the cost of a mistake will be high. IMO with an LS6 it's all about the numbers. Get "Chevrolet by the Numbers" by Alan L Colvin it will have all the numbers you need and remember no LS6 came with factory air.

Good Luck

------------------
Texas SS
1970 SS 396 350HP
Unrestored & Almost Perfect
Houston, Texas
Take a Look http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Street/6320

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Mike, I'm not an LS6 expert, but I do have some advice to pass along. Ask, and look for, as much owner documentation as possible, as well as all related paperwork.

Since you have been around the Corvette scene (I am also a Corvette owner and enthusiast) you know that there are a lot of forgeries out there. I've heard of people joking (but a serious kind of joking) that there are more "original" L88 Corvettes in attendace at Corvette events like Bloomington than were ever made in the first place!

The art of block restamping has been perfected by enough people that the NCRS gave up trying to weed the phonies out - not all that long ago they decreed that restamped blocks were no longer a points deduct in judged competition. What they did instead was to start giving extra points to those who actually had good documentation and history.

Simple point is that there are ready sources for restamped blocks, cowl tags, and protecto plates (where applicable) - so just beware.

------------------
"Bomber" '67 El Camino, Beater comes back to life.
Was 350/TH350 14.90 @ 93mph, 360,000+ miles on car
Now 406 roller, 340rwhp, more hp coming, 3.08 gears
Street radials, left in drive, 13.20 [email protected] mph

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice so far guys. I do appreciate it.

Are the any specific things to look for aside from the engine - like tach red line, oil pressure guage max reading etc or are all SS cars equal in that regard?

Also, any good books or articles that you could recommend?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Mark,
I too am looking for a fully documented LS6. I have found a few just here on the web. One for $115,000. They claim it is just as it came off the assembly line. Kind of a lot of cake though??

I found another for around $28k but it says it has a M-21. The LS6 only came with the M-22 or turbo 400. Probably a fake.

Found another for 39K with NO documentation. But they claim it's an original numbers car. I don't know I'm gonna look long and hard to be sure I getting what I want. this is fun but can be nerve racking.

pete

·
Registered
103 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MKane:
Are the any specific things to look for aside from the engine - like tach red line, oil pressure gauge max reading etc or are all SS cars equal in that regard?

Also, any good books or articles that you could recommend?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Red line on an LS6 Car is 6500. There were two other redlines used, 5500, and 5000 but the LS6 got the 6500 redline. None of the 70 Chevelles have an oil pressure gauge. They are all the warning light type.

I would 2nd the motion on "Chevrolet by the numbers" Its a great book with valuable information.

I think your best piece of mind would come from finding an LS6 with the original build sheet.

Thanks
Jody

------------------
70 Chevelle SS
454/400T.H.
Black/White Stripes
My 1970 SS

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jody: Thanks. Yes, I have the Colvin books and use them all the time to check part numbers etc. Are there any good Chevelle-specific books out there that detail the various differences between the SS cars? I am into '67 Z-28's pretty heavily (see my profile for a link to my web site - couldn't figure out how to make that show up as a signature?) and there are a number of Camaro books that list the details behind various models. BTW, I love your car!

Pete: Yeah, it is nerve wracking but that's half the fun! Most of the LS6 cars I'm seeing are in the $35K-$45K range with the higher numbers being advertised by dealers. These guys are having a hard time finding nice cars for their lots and are having to pay retail for many of their cars - so that's why some prices seem high. I expect to pay about $35K for a nice car and will probably locate one via word of mouth rather than an advertisement. I'm telling everyone I know that are into cars that I am in the market for an LS6.

Thanks again guys,

Mark

·
Registered
714 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>None of the 70 Chevelles have an oil pressure gauge. They are all the warning light type.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jody,

Just curious, no pressure gauge on all 70 Chevelle SS's or just the LS6??. I have no reference point because my 70SS 396 has a dash full of idiot lights
. I went to look at 3 LS6 cars for someone on this board recently and found it odd that all three were as you described...oil pressure light with full guage packages

Mkane,

I second what Jody said about the build sheet. You can do a search on my board name "Mytmouse" and you can read about my experience looking at those 3 LS6 cars in Ohio. These cars were in the 40-45K range at a dealer and I think they were about 10-15K over priced... even though they were nice cars that I would be proud to own in any event.

My feeling is if you are going to spend 40-45K it better be darn close to perfect with pretty good documentation even if it is an LS6 car. If the prices are 60-65K for show quality and 40-45K for decent drivers well then forgive my ignorance but I will take 2 very nice L34 cars over a decent lS6 driver anyday... but that is just my humble opinion.

Welcome to the board...and as you can see by my signature, I am also a Z/28 fan...even if it is of the 68 variety. Love that little 302 mouse motor...hence the board name

Mytmouse

------------------
67 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi Butternut Yellow w/Black Vinyl
68 RS Z/28 302 350+Hp? 4sp 4:10 Posi, Euro Red on Black
70 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi, Black on Black

Mytmouse A.K.A. Robert Stacho
ACES Member # 04359

[This message has been edited by Mytmouse (edited 05-28-2001).]

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have seen one locally and heard of other car owners swearing they had an LS6 car, but the car also had air conditioning, a no no for solid lifter hipo cars, walk away from any that have AC.

I have also seen one with a high rise aluminum intake contending it was a factory LS6, again a no no as the motor had the low profile intake, with Holley.

I would only shell out that kind of money if there was a build sheet to back up the car. I found an original in my 70 L34 car under the back seat, so I think I can spot a fake. Check the Ebay Chevelles for sale, there was a recent car that had a good photo of the what looked like a good build sheet for an LS6. That is what you are looking for.

John Walker

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mtymouse: Wow, love your cars! The '68 looks very cool! I appreciate all nice cars whether they are factory stock or modified.

The LS6 cars I'm seeing at $40K are real strong number 2 cars that are very close to number 1. I agree with you and wouldn't pay $45K for a number 3 driver quality car.

The one I was supposed to see this weekend was documented with 2 build sheets, POP and had the 6,500 rpm tach. It was NOM with an interior color change, but otherwise looked quite nice. I was interested in it because the owner wanted to sell it without the motor , so I could put whatever motor in it that I wanted without taking a hit on the one that is in the car now. I am focussing on an LS6 car because I would like to do a frame off on one of these cars in the future and know that it costs about the same to restore a low horsepower car as it does an LS6 and there is a better chance of getting most of my money back out of the LS6 one day if I need it.

That being said, I would consider buying a mint low mile SS of any horsepower if the price was fair on the car and it was a nice color.

Thanks for your advice,

Mark

·
Registered
714 Posts
Mark,

Thanks for the nice comment on my cars.

And just my opinion, a strong 2, close to 1 (very few real 1 cars out there) for around 40K sounds about right to me...but their are better experts on the LS6 car than me on this board and maybe they will chime in and tell me I am all wet. It should, IMO, have that WOW!!! factor for that kind of money...plus some good documentation. That one for $115,000.00 mentioned above...give me a break.

Good Luck on your search

Mytmouse

------------------
67 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi Butternut Yellow w/Black Vinyl
68 RS Z/28 302 350+Hp? 4sp 4:10 Posi, Euro Red on Black
70 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi, Black on Black

Mytmouse A.K.A. Robert Stacho
ACES Member # 04359

·
Registered
638 Posts
I don't understand why there would be any great desire for an LS-6 car without the original motor. Other than an extra 1000 rpm before redline an the loss of an oil pressure reading, what's the difference between an LS-6 and an L-34? IMHO a matching #'s L-34 would be more desirable than a NOM LS-6. Is it just me...or am I missing something here. Kind of like if you met a hot girl at a party and then later find out she's your long lost sister, the thrill is gone baby!

------------------
Bob Von Kaenel
Lincoln, NE
70 SS 402ci+.030 TH400 3.73 posi Cranberry Red

We've not been called upon to hold the fort, but rather, to storm the heights!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bob,

I can understand your feelings on a NOM car and frankly, I felt that way for a number of years. I guess it really boils down to personal preference. I happen to really like rare cars - that's just my personal preference. The fact of the matter is that the restampers have gotten so good these days that they are fooling even the most experienced judges and I am skeptical of just about any car that I don't really know the history of. On top of that, most of these high horse cars were raced or driven very, very hard, so I really don't believe half of the original motor stories that I've heard. So I value "correct" more today than I used to. Regardless, I'd only consider an NOM car if the body was absolutely mint. Replacing a motor is easy, correcting rust is much more difficult!

Despite all of this, the allure of a rare car is just what turns my crank - so that's what I go after. Call me crazy - my wife does for the same reason

Mark

·
Registered
49 Posts
I Would be very suspect of anybody claiming a low mileage like new 4sp car, most were driven into the ground and crushed, that's why you see so many autos today, NO true street racer back in the 60's would have been caught dead in a auto, except maybe a few mopar guys, they were considered daddys car that you borrow on a friday nite.

Good luck in finding your LS-6 for me to pay that kind of scratch it would have to have build sheet or window sticker.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Many long years ago I worked the counter at a very large Chevrolet dealer. I sold more than a few factory LS6 engines (part #466250 if my memory serves me correctly) and all the "goodies" to make ordinary Chevelles into "LS6" models (man those were great days!).

Of course, as those early clones got passed through to subsequent owners, the "fact" of those cars rebirth was lost - and the newer owners insisted that their car was an "original". Like my Corvette brethren who have created more L88 Corvettes than the factory ever produced, in my opinion the same is true of LS6 Chevelles.

Be careful out there when parting with your money for your dream car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If your looking for rarity, then I would look for an NOM LS-5. If memory serves me correct, they made less LS-5's than LS-6's in 1970.

------------------
Trent DuBois
'71 Hugger Orange Chevelle
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/Hugger71.jpg

·
Registered
714 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.