139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im still new to the classics and still learning so bare with me
i know this turns my back wheels and is connected to the trans
what can i do to fix this?:hurray:

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
You'll have to buy a universal joint to replace that one as mentioned. You grab the driveshaft and pull it straight back and it will come out of the transmission and be free from the car..................and maybe start pouring tranny fuild on the ground so have a tub ready to catch a quart at the most. Then you will need to press out or hammer the old u-joint out and press the new one in. It helps to have a big bench vise and some sockets to do the pressing. Do a search or look it up on the web for detailed instructions on U-joint replacement as they are pretty easy to screw up....esp the first time. I would consider buying two U-joints and bringing the second one back if you get the first in. Biggest problem is that a roller needle falls down from the side of the cap into the base which will prevent it from getting the cap fully compressed and wont let you get the retainer clip back on once it's in the U-joint.

·
Registered
14,708 Posts
dont forget! GOOD quality jackstands!!! It seems your sort of new to this and just learning, but please dont jack up the car with a floor jack and crawl under the car. Think safety first. If you jacking 1 side of the car up to get to the driveshaft, when you install the U joint to the rearend, you'll have to turn the flange, if you have a posi the car will want to move when you do this. You do not want to be under it if it does. jim

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so i got the u joint replaced and now i have another problem
the clamps wont hold it?
or am i doing something wrong or missing something
?

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Loosen the 4 bolts again and center the u-joint. There are little tabs/stops molded into the yoke. You have to have the caps up against those tabs.

I would also highly recommend having someone who knows the mechanics of the car, take a look at the whole car, before it's out on the road. You're new at this, and you don't want to hurt yourself, or anyone else.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
As Bill said, that U joint has to be centered in the rear end yoke or you'll spit it right out and probably tear something up in the process.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Another solution:
Take the drive shaft out as described above.
Go to a driveline shop and have them replace your U-Joint for you.
I just called a shop here and they quoted $45 out the door. Parts and labor.
Maybe not such a bad idea beings that it is your first time doing it.

Just a thought.

Randy

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Since I couldn't get the original one out I took it to a local shop and they put another for $40 but I guess I should take it again since it's too small

1 - 20 of 20 Posts